Windows updates failed, Want to delete all failed update files in history location

Anonymous
2010-12-18T04:10:17+00:00

Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-23T10:29:02+00:00

Hi Ronk109,

If the updates got installed successfully the next time, then you can directly jump to method 2 which include steps to erase Windows Update history. After following the steps, the update history will be completely wiped out. By erasing the update history, you’ll just lose the update record entry and not exactly the updates. You can still find the history of the installed updates under the option Installed updates in Windows Update window.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-22T06:43:11+00:00

    Tks so much! I did!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-29T19:11:04+00:00

    Why can Microsoft just give a straight answer? So sick of Microsoft . Going to Linux .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-30T01:42:14+00:00

    Why can't people begin their own, new threads instead of posting "Me, too!" replies to five-year-old threads?

    Tip: If all is well with your computer, running the Windows Update troubleshooter (followed by a reboot) will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-15T08:37:21+00:00

    Get Never10.exe and run it as per instructions.

    Get GWX Control Panel and make everything "no" and also delete history with action button.

    See the folders with Win10 location to "open" it, and then use explorer to delete these after you set folder options to show hidden file and folders.

    When you delete the history, the update window no longer displays the "try again" BS.

    I also rechecked the KB installed as per this page here, and found one that came back before I ran Never10 and the GWX Control Panel apps.  I also have windows update set to never check for updates, and set services for Windows Update to "manual" and I stopped the service before running both the Never10 and GWX Control Panel.  Reboot and check for update by launching the "Windows Update" link from start and see it this solves the crappy red flag for Win10 "try again" BS.

    Update (pun intended), the Failed Windows 10 update error displays and asks to "try again" is still there after reboot and running update app.  If I close it, and restart it, it starts a scan for updates and reports back "up to date" but does not retain this window upon initial startup of the app.  What a PITA.  Where does this notification come from?  Is is downloaded from the server side every time?  I think so.  It's Windows fault this is happening and nothing we can do on our end to prevent it IMHO, except to ask that Windows stops this for us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments