Windows updates failed, Want to delete all failed update files in history location

Anonymous
2010-12-18T04:10:17+00:00

Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-23T10:29:02+00:00

Hi Ronk109,

If the updates got installed successfully the next time, then you can directly jump to method 2 which include steps to erase Windows Update history. After following the steps, the update history will be completely wiped out. By erasing the update history, you’ll just lose the update record entry and not exactly the updates. You can still find the history of the installed updates under the option Installed updates in Windows Update window.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-16T17:25:53+00:00

    Hi Mouneshwar R

    I have Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and your Method 2 has been very useful, as Windows Updates stopped installing recently, mainly due to Security Updates for Windows x64, with error code 800B0100.

    While I removed Update History a number of times without any problem, today it doesn't work anymore. The black DOS screen is OK until I paste:

    del %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log

    and click OK, but the Update History still remains.

    This isn't a serious problem, but I would be interested to know why Method 2 no longer works.

    Best Regards

    William Mac

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-18T05:33:16+00:00

    great advise but it's not working for windows 10.

    thank's

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-18T08:29:36+00:00

    Hi Andre

    I still have Windows 7 x64 and use this method occasionally.

    It seems to be a 'hit or miss' for some strange reason. However, when it works, it works well.

    It might be worthwhile trying it again with Windows 10 at different times?

    I gave up on Windows 10 with download problems and anyhow, I am perfectly happy with Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments