Windows updates failed, Want to delete all failed update files in history location

Anonymous
2010-12-18T04:10:17+00:00

Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-23T10:29:02+00:00

Hi Ronk109,

If the updates got installed successfully the next time, then you can directly jump to method 2 which include steps to erase Windows Update history. After following the steps, the update history will be completely wiped out. By erasing the update history, you’ll just lose the update record entry and not exactly the updates. You can still find the history of the installed updates under the option Installed updates in Windows Update window.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-26T22:10:30+00:00

    I went into Windows\SoftwareDistribution and deleted the Download folder.  This forces the Updater to redownload the updates.  The first time I tried this, the result was that I was able to install half of the updates that had failed to install.  I repeated the process and the rest of the updates installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-27T03:27:19+00:00

    Hi Mark,

    Glad to know that you got the issue sorted out and thank you for sharing the solution. If you’ve any issues with Windows in future, please feel free to post here.

    Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-07-05T23:54:14+00:00

    is there a way to erase / turn off the "suggested / optional" windows update list ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-08T11:45:14+00:00

    I have been trying to delete failed updates ran across this artical worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments