Windows updates failed, Want to delete all failed update files in history location

Anonymous
2010-12-18T04:10:17+00:00

Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-23T10:29:02+00:00

Hi Ronk109,

If the updates got installed successfully the next time, then you can directly jump to method 2 which include steps to erase Windows Update history. After following the steps, the update history will be completely wiped out. By erasing the update history, you’ll just lose the update record entry and not exactly the updates. You can still find the history of the installed updates under the option Installed updates in Windows Update window.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-22T06:43:11+00:00

    Tks so much! I did!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T22:03:09+00:00

    To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your 18 August 2015 thread => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-10-download-file-name/257d9357-1bd2-416a-8f63-41d65b744cb6

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T07:22:20+00:00

    Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

    Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

    See response from Mouneshwar R

    Extract as follows

    Method 2: Steps to erase Windows Update history

    **Note:**Erasing the windows update history will just remove the entries of the updates and not really the updates itself.

    a.    Go to menu Start> All Programs> Accessories. Right click on the "command prompt" and select "Run as Administrator".

    b.    Copy/paste the below command:

    c.    net stop wuauserv

    d.    And select OK.

    e.    Wait until confirmation that the service is stopped.

    f.     To delete the file, copy the following command in the command prompt:

    g.    del %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log

    h.    You can also delete it manually by going to the location in windows explorer.

    i.     you can restart the service with this command:

    j.     net start wuauserv 

    This worked for me, though I have since carried out a full System Recovery and now all Windows Updates (over 200 since the recovery) install OK. with no failures.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T00:45:27+00:00

    Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

    Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments