Windows updates failed, Want to delete all failed update files in history location

Anonymous
2010-12-18T04:10:17+00:00

Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-23T10:29:02+00:00

Hi Ronk109,

If the updates got installed successfully the next time, then you can directly jump to method 2 which include steps to erase Windows Update history. After following the steps, the update history will be completely wiped out. By erasing the update history, you’ll just lose the update record entry and not exactly the updates. You can still find the history of the installed updates under the option Installed updates in Windows Update window.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-12T02:53:23+00:00

    your system is not fit fotrbpurpose

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-12T02:48:57+00:00

    Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

    Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

    delete all

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-08T21:12:59+00:00

    deleting unsuccessful upgrades

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-18T16:47:25+00:00

    In searching this problem I discovered that you can go to Windows(C:) Windows and change the name of the SoftwareDistribution folder to SofwareDistribuiton.old. Restart the computer and go to Windows Update and it will download the update as if it were fresh. When I have had issues I have actually deleted the files in the SoftwareDistribution folder and that allowed me to start over as well. I discovered my two answers; 1) (Best Answer) https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clear-softwaredistribution-folder-windows-10 follow links on page. My next link; 2)https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/is-it-safe-to-delete-files-under/8d98d924-b0b1-4f2b-bb4b-13f38126c5

    Dear Mr. Riker, 

    Thanks for your interesting reply to my Microsoft Community question re: windows updates.

    I have not actually used your troubleshooting since up to date my updates are now downloaded and installed.

    Of course I have downloaded again Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.125.

    I hope that updates continue to download and install.

    Thanks again for your interest and best wishes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments