Windows updates failed, Want to delete all failed update files in history location

Anonymous
2010-12-18T04:10:17+00:00

Windows update section states I have 1 updates and one optional. Files download and computer restarts, but files fail to log.

Also, how can I delete all the failed window files fromhistory. Taking up lots of room.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-12-23T10:29:02+00:00

Hi Ronk109,

If the updates got installed successfully the next time, then you can directly jump to method 2 which include steps to erase Windows Update history. After following the steps, the update history will be completely wiped out. By erasing the update history, you’ll just lose the update record entry and not exactly the updates. You can still find the history of the installed updates under the option Installed updates in Windows Update window.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-22T14:16:30+00:00

    The issue in this case cannot be found in the Programs and Features in the control panel. We need to delete an Windows 10 build which will not install or has become corrupt. Deleting the files will allow you to go back to the Update Window and again download and install the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-21T11:17:18+00:00

    Hallo,

    Going to the Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall programs gives you a list of programs you can uninstall or modify  … Settings gives the same possibility : Settings/Apps/Apps and features. Programs figure in Start/All apps that gives a list allowing you to uninstall the app in question. The list refers to programs at the root of the system C: Program Files or Program Files(x86) being respectively 64/32 bit reference. Sometimes the system gets lost with no reference to installed programs on the list of installed programs. Windows Store apps are complicated but an antivirus figures in one/both folders with a direct reference or in Common files … with a bit of luck, the antivirus figures in Start/All apps and a right click gives you a reference to programme file. Deleting can work or not, depends ... but deleting the alias to the program isn't sufficient. An other way is to reinstall the antivirus updating all references then unistall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-21T07:56:55+00:00

    When I update they tell me that I have Avira Antivirus on my system and I need to Manually delete it, right now there's no files in the application and when I hit Avira in the Control Panel it tells me No applications found.  If I do delete this,I need to show that I'm the Administrator which I am.  How can I take care of this problem to delete this Application from The Control Panel and hopefully this will settle my problem.  Thank You

    Please notify me either your response or some others, so I can Update my Computer!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-02T16:31:00+00:00

    There is no point of erasing failed updates history as it's only a log file reporting factual events ... understanding why the update failed is more interesting, only a futile reason or something complicated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments