Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.

Anonymous
2011-07-24T12:01:42+00:00

When trying to burn a CD, and having a blank CD-R in the DVD drive, I get "Windows can't read the disc in Drive D". I have tried other discs and DVDs but it seems Windows does not recognise a blank disc. I have another DVD drive and the same is true here as well.  I have tried updating the drivers and disabling and re-enabling the drives but to no avail. CDs or DVDs with content are recognised however.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-15T18:34:48+00:00

I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-22T16:44:44+00:00

    I tried the fix it tool and it said nothing was wrong. I used the solution above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-22T16:41:17+00:00

    This worked for me in Win 7 64-bit.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-08T03:30:01+00:00

    I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

    Yes, your are right. I had the same issue. Your post helped and issue got resolved. 

    Many Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-25T16:47:42+00:00

    I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

    tq jim...bn hvs same problem unable to detect to burn dvd; but can detect play dvd n burn cd then.

    tqvm, yr valued adv has helped me

    dt fm malaysia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments