Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.

Anonymous
2011-07-24T12:01:42+00:00

When trying to burn a CD, and having a blank CD-R in the DVD drive, I get "Windows can't read the disc in Drive D". I have tried other discs and DVDs but it seems Windows does not recognise a blank disc. I have another DVD drive and the same is true here as well.  I have tried updating the drivers and disabling and re-enabling the drives but to no avail. CDs or DVDs with content are recognised however.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-15T18:34:48+00:00

I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-14T03:55:46+00:00

    Worked like a charm on both drives. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-26T20:38:08+00:00

    Try formatting the CD first. With the disk in the drive, right-click on the drive letter in File Explorer, choose "Format," and wait for the process to complete (about ten seconds). See if you can write to the CD then. Yes, I know you're not supposed to have to format CDs/DVDs, but this method worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-25T18:58:14+00:00

    Same issue. Worked fine under Win7 Pro 1 week ago. Today, on Win 10 can't burn anything to a CD-R. Reads lots of other things fine though.  Device Manager says everything is happy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-02T18:36:19+00:00

    Sorry, no. Haven't looked into this in years. As I recall I stumbled onto this solution because my scanner was not working either. The solution I gave was really one I ran across in trying to get my scanner to work. The one fix corrected both problems. You might try searching along that "path".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments