Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.

Anonymous
2011-07-24T12:01:42+00:00

When trying to burn a CD, and having a blank CD-R in the DVD drive, I get "Windows can't read the disc in Drive D". I have tried other discs and DVDs but it seems Windows does not recognise a blank disc. I have another DVD drive and the same is true here as well.  I have tried updating the drivers and disabling and re-enabling the drives but to no avail. CDs or DVDs with content are recognised however.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-15T18:34:48+00:00

I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-25T08:00:52+00:00

    Hi,

    1.     Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

    You can refer the articles below and see if it helps.

    You can run the fix it from the articles below and see if it helps.

    Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media

    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd\_dvd\_drive\_problems/en-us

    Open the Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Blu‑ray Discs troubleshooter

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-playing-and-burning-cds-dvds-and-bluray-discs-troubleshooter

    Also see:

    Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116#top

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments