I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!
Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.
When trying to burn a CD, and having a blank CD-R in the DVD drive, I get "Windows can't read the disc in Drive D". I have tried other discs and DVDs but it seems Windows does not recognise a blank disc. I have another DVD drive and the same is true here as well. I have tried updating the drivers and disabling and re-enabling the drives but to no avail. CDs or DVDs with content are recognised however.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2011-09-14T15:57:25+00:00 I have the same problem and diagnostic software did nothing for me. 3 different CD/DVD drives, tried different discs. Nothing worked. All play CDs fine. My multi function scanner has also stopped working properly (but copies/prints fine). Will start doing some more extensive virus testing.
-
Anonymous
2011-08-28T17:58:07+00:00 I have the same problem: Windows Explorer cannot recognize any of blank recordable discs: CD-R, DVD-R and other. However, Windows Media Player can recognize the disc and other programs too. I do not have any problem with the DVD burner itself, it is the Windows Explorer only. I have the same message when in put blank disc in the drive: Windows can't read the disc in drive E:\ (in my case).
I have Optiarc BD-5300S, which is a blue-ray burner with SATA interface. However, Windows 7 recognizes the drive as a SCSI device and as a standard CD drive (not as a burner) without option to enable writing (under Property tag in Windows Explorer). I tried to install the burner to another computer (almost the same hardware) with Windows XP and it works perfectly with XP - Explorer recognizes the drive as SATA burner, I had an option to enable writing and it recognizes blank recordable discs. ( the same discs Windows 7 rejected)
In my case, both WIndows (7 and XP) use the came driver CDROM.SYS, but different versions. In my opinion, something is wrong with CD driver for Windows 7. I already spent few weeks with different folks to solve the problem, but looks like nobody has a solution. Microsoft was not helpful either.
-
Anonymous
2011-08-02T11:11:53+00:00 The reply you sent to me on August 1 is exactly the same as the reply you sent on July 25.
I replied to that on July 25 to the effect that nothing worked!
Is anyone reading these replies?
-
Anonymous
2011-07-25T08:56:16+00:00 Hi
Thanks for your response.
I tried all the Fixits you suggested but the problem still remains.
"Windows does not recognise the disc in ...."
I want to be able to burn from Media Player for example - but the computer does not recognise that there is a disc in the drive.
I have made some changes. I tried to uninstall and re-install Roxio 2010, and I think the problem probably stems from this.
Roxio support is not proving helpful.