Windows does not recognise a blank disc in a DVD drive.

Anonymous
2011-07-24T12:01:42+00:00

When trying to burn a CD, and having a blank CD-R in the DVD drive, I get "Windows can't read the disc in Drive D". I have tried other discs and DVDs but it seems Windows does not recognise a blank disc. I have another DVD drive and the same is true here as well.  I have tried updating the drivers and disabling and re-enabling the drives but to no avail. CDs or DVDs with content are recognised however.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-09-15T18:34:48+00:00

I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-28T17:58:07+00:00

    I have the same problem: Windows Explorer cannot recognize any of blank recordable discs: CD-R, DVD-R and other. However, Windows Media Player can recognize the disc and other programs too. I do not have any problem with the DVD burner itself, it is the Windows Explorer only. I have the same message when in put blank disc in the drive: Windows can't read the disc in drive E:\ (in my case).

    I have Optiarc BD-5300S, which is a blue-ray burner with SATA interface. However, Windows 7 recognizes the drive as a SCSI device and as a standard CD drive (not as a burner) without option to enable writing (under Property tag in Windows Explorer). I tried to install the burner to another computer (almost the same hardware) with Windows XP and it works perfectly with XP - Explorer recognizes the drive as SATA burner, I had an option to enable writing and it recognizes blank  recordable discs. ( the same discs Windows 7 rejected)

    In my case, both WIndows (7 and XP) use the came driver CDROM.SYS, but different versions.  In my opinion, something is wrong with CD driver for Windows 7. I already spent few weeks with different folks to solve the problem, but looks like nobody has a solution. Microsoft was not helpful either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-10T20:21:04+00:00

    I had the same problem in Windows 7 32-bit (suspect this would fix in Vista as well). After trying everything else under the sun went into Services (Search for programs and files, type "Services") and looked up "Shell Hardware Detection". Found that it was disabled (not sure how it got that way). Right clicked on it to get Properties. Changed Startup type to "Automatic", hit Apply and OK. Problem resolved without even having to reboot!

    YOU ARE A GOD!  I have been researching this problem forever.  I've tried EVERYTHING to no avail.  I wish I would have run into your post first because it took me all of 45 seconds to resolve this issue!  THANK YOU -- FINALLY!  Exactly as you said.

    Now I hope I didn't screw anything else up while I was listening to all the other advice.  (Not just from this forum.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-14T01:38:56+00:00

    Hi Nomanerr,

    If you have any more Windows related queries, you can always post here at Microsoft Answers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-05T15:23:23+00:00

    I have struggled with this same problem for the past six months!! I stummbled onto your little fix and windows will now SEE my disks!!!!!! THANK YOU!!! how could such a simple thing cause so much headache is beyond me!

    Have a bless day my friend,

    Bob.........

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments