My laptop times out too quickly and goes into screen saver mode.

Anonymous
2011-05-15T19:50:33+00:00

How do I change my time -out screen saver control. It seems like one minute and then the screen goes black, then screen saver pictures begin. It's very controling and irritating. Usually if I press a button on the keyboard it will come back, but not always. Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-16T13:44:16+00:00

Hi

1.       Was it working fine earlier, if yes then do remember making changes to your computer recently?

Follow these steps to change the settings for screensaver timeout:

a.       Right-click on your desktop and select "Personalize" from the menu that appears.

b.      Click on "Screen Saver" in the Personalization menu.

c.       Use the up and down arrow keys beside the "Wait" box to select the number of minutes you want the computer to wait before it activates the screensaver. You can also type the number of minutes directly into the box.

d.      Click "OK" to finalize your settings.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-11T16:16:38+00:00

    How do I change my time -out screen saver control. It seems like one minute and then the screen goes black, then screen saver pictures begin. It's very controling and irritating. Usually if I press a button on the keyboard it will come back, but not always. Please advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T07:28:26+00:00

    With the PC switched on.

    Sorry, an O/S is active even though the user isn't doing anything... as in - if they are pulling the battery they can't be working on the PC.

    I have to say that the behavior of individual PCs may vary. Certainly a sudden power loss should be handled by Windows such that no operating system damage is done. I was assuming that users would realise the necessity to shut down all programs and save data etc.

    I hope this works for you. It may be specific to HP laptops, even the model I use, and at worst for everyone else, just mine. But I shared the info just in case it works for others.

    25/04/18 Update

    So far every time I have pulled out the battery when logged in (and then put the battery back again) the display timeout has reverted to values I entered in the display settings.

    I'm still not sure what triggers the display to revert to a short timeout. It may be the time of day...

    15/07/18 Update

    I have discovered that normal screen timeout can be restored by removing the battery after putting the PC into sleep mode ie pressing the power button. I am not sure but I suspect that when the OS sleeps there is nothing going on that a loss in power would upset. With the PC alive (active) that always used to be a risk and probably still is. So far using this method has not caused me any problems.

    Pulling the battery recently with the PC alive made it give a blue screen at startup. My recovery memory stick restored normal operation, but clearly pulling the battery has its risks.

    After much investigation it appears there is no correlation between the screen timeout and deleting the user temporary folder contents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T23:15:06+00:00

    Thanks for the post... But could you explain what WITH WINDOWS ACTIVE means?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T22:43:19+00:00

    Just in case this helps anyone...

    Solution: Pull out the battery with windows active.

    My HP Probook screen can time out far sooner than the settings say it should. They are set to never, but it can go black after 5min idle.

    I spent hours trawling the net and tried as many fixes as I dare, all to no avail.

    Then a few days ago the screen went dead, not just blank where it would wake up with a mouse click. This was "D" "E" "A" "D", gone, kaput...

    The only choice I had was to remove the battery with the windows active which I did. That brought the screen back... and it fixed the timeout problem *?*?!!

    I have correlated the screen early timeout problem with deleting the user...temp folder contents. On clearing it out, the screen timeout seems to go wrong within the day.

    I cleared the temp folder as a test, and when the timeout began, I pulled the battery again with windows active, and now the screen does not time out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments