My laptop times out too quickly and goes into screen saver mode.

Anonymous
2011-05-15T19:50:33+00:00

How do I change my time -out screen saver control. It seems like one minute and then the screen goes black, then screen saver pictures begin. It's very controling and irritating. Usually if I press a button on the keyboard it will come back, but not always. Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-16T13:44:16+00:00

Hi

1.       Was it working fine earlier, if yes then do remember making changes to your computer recently?

Follow these steps to change the settings for screensaver timeout:

a.       Right-click on your desktop and select "Personalize" from the menu that appears.

b.      Click on "Screen Saver" in the Personalization menu.

c.       Use the up and down arrow keys beside the "Wait" box to select the number of minutes you want the computer to wait before it activates the screensaver. You can also type the number of minutes directly into the box.

d.      Click "OK" to finalize your settings.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-05T22:35:47+00:00

    I don't know if your advice transfers to Windows 8.1

    My new laptop goes into dark mode after about 2 minutes of no keystroke or screen touching.  I am only a rank beginner at trying to understand Win 8.1 (my old computer ran Win XP) but I managed to right click on the desktop, then selected "Personalize", and see a bar at the bottom that says "screen saver".  When I select that, I see no opportunity to change the length of time before computer goes to sleep.

    Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-19T12:15:06+00:00

    Thank you this worked perfectly.

    This was so irritating, of course I discovered, on following instructions it was on 1 minute! No wonder.

    CB-POPS

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-10T15:42:02+00:00

    Just set the screensaver to none.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-16T06:39:47+00:00

    I did change the screen time out on my laptop, but the screen still goes into sleep mode after only a few minutes. Any other ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments