My laptop times out too quickly and goes into screen saver mode.

Anonymous
2011-05-15T19:50:33+00:00

How do I change my time -out screen saver control. It seems like one minute and then the screen goes black, then screen saver pictures begin. It's very controling and irritating. Usually if I press a button on the keyboard it will come back, but not always. Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-16T13:44:16+00:00

Hi

1.       Was it working fine earlier, if yes then do remember making changes to your computer recently?

Follow these steps to change the settings for screensaver timeout:

a.       Right-click on your desktop and select "Personalize" from the menu that appears.

b.      Click on "Screen Saver" in the Personalization menu.

c.       Use the up and down arrow keys beside the "Wait" box to select the number of minutes you want the computer to wait before it activates the screensaver. You can also type the number of minutes directly into the box.

d.      Click "OK" to finalize your settings.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T22:43:19+00:00

    Just in case this helps anyone...

    Solution: Pull out the battery with windows active.

    My HP Probook screen can time out far sooner than the settings say it should. They are set to never, but it can go black after 5min idle.

    I spent hours trawling the net and tried as many fixes as I dare, all to no avail.

    Then a few days ago the screen went dead, not just blank where it would wake up with a mouse click. This was "D" "E" "A" "D", gone, kaput...

    The only choice I had was to remove the battery with the windows active which I did. That brought the screen back... and it fixed the timeout problem *?*?!!

    I have correlated the screen early timeout problem with deleting the user...temp folder contents. On clearing it out, the screen timeout seems to go wrong within the day.

    I cleared the temp folder as a test, and when the timeout began, I pulled the battery again with windows active, and now the screen does not time out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-31T18:04:55+00:00

    How do I change the length of time before my screen times out?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-03T18:03:40+00:00

    my screen shuts down after not using for a minute or two and I have to sign in again this is very disturbing how can I make it stay on longer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T01:51:01+00:00

    It's not out of date if you're using Windows Vista as in this seven year old thread.

    How to begin your own, new thread and explain your issue

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/page/faq#faqAskQuestion1

    Suggestions for asking a question in help forums

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments