Why Is 'Logitech Download Assistant' in Windows (7) Update? And Uneeded Products Offered During Download Process...

Anonymous
2011-10-06T07:37:08+00:00

For crying out loud, if MS let's every vendor that has download products deveop and distribute their own download manager for their own products the OS is going to become another big mess!  I like Logictech products but I see absolutely no reason under the sun why Windows Update should be offering up Logitech's Download Assistant!?  Since I'm not aware of how to simply delete a Windows Update product if not needed I have hidden it.  I hope the next time I look to see what I've hidden it will be gone.

And while I'm on the kick...  I really hate getting into so many downloads today where you have to be a sort of detective to make sure you click on the right download button of what you are looking for in order to avoid downloading or getting tangled up in something you are not looking for.  Likewise once you are installing a downloaded product you have to uncheck one or more varieties of unwanted special browser menus.

As far as I'm concernied it all fits under 'dirty advertising' and so far I'm pretty good at taking my time to make sure things I don't want get unchecked!  Shame on the industry.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-07T08:23:36+00:00

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your information with us if you have any suggestion or feedback on Windows 7 you can post at Windows 7 feedback link mentioned below:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-31T00:37:08+00:00

    Well happy 2016............

    found this thread mess when one of my sons gave me a hp pavilion 23 all in one that had never been used........

    in fact until to day it had not been powered on since summer of 2015.

    so i find the original logitech Download Assistant in startup enabled and not measured under startup impact.

    I disabled it

    2012..........2013......2014.........2015...........2016

    why don't they just schedule a task to check for updates for say once a week or so...it seems everybody else does update checks that way.......but every startup for this type of software is just wasteful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-16T14:43:02+00:00

    I so agree and what is worse-this continues. Now in windows 10, I get error "Logitech - Other hardware - USB Input Device (Logitech Download Assistant) - Error 0x800705b3" and cannot even download correctly with error-even after I went to the Vendor website to download the updated drivers-ALL OF THEM. Just too bad MS will not lift a finger on this trust me-we will just keep getting safe answers. This is a prime example of if this was answered correctly to assist customers, this error would not exist now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-10T04:56:25+00:00

    *** I am NOT advising anyone to delete or uninstall or tweak anything. I am just providing information.

    I don't have the time or energy to give my reply the full treatment. I will say that it's quite irritating to read some of the nonsense that people post. From lousy attempts at humor (as if this is a comedy blog rather than a support site), to wrong guesses that "It doesn't do anything, just ignore it", to all sorts of other nonsense. People are so irritating.

    I'm on Win10 and WU prompted me to install the Logitech Download Assistant. I declined for awhile, but then gave in just to get it out of my face. I did monitor its installation with Total Uninstall (martau.com), however, and I'm glad I did. There is no native way to uninstall it.

    Logitech Download Assistant, under Win10 and at this time at least, potentially installs several DLL files to the system32 directory:

    LdaCx2.dll

    LogiLDA.DLL

    msvcp110.dll

    msvcr110.dll

    vccorlib110.dll

    I am NOT advising anyone to delete any of these files. On my system, none of these files existed before Logitech Download Assistant was installed. On your system, this may not be true, at least for the last three files listed above.

    Logitech Download Assistant creates other files, including an INF. It creates a startup entry under HKLM...Run, which uses rundll32.exe to invoke LogiLDA.dll. Disabling this startup entry does not effectively remove or disable Logitech Download Assistant from your system.

    Installing Logitech Download Assistant on my system also created a backup of all the installation files under C:\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\lgsusb.inf_amd64_c6a29e4cd588cf6a.

    Logitech Download Assistant will almost certainly change the drivers for any Logitech products you have attached (keyboard, mouse, etc.). It may also change HID drivers and settings.

    Logitech Download Assistant may also create LogiShrd keys in the registry, under both HKLM\Software and HKCU\Software.

    There are other changes, mainly to the registry, but searching the registry for the aforementioned file and directory names will find most of them.

    I noticed an annoying issue with my keyboard and mouse after installing Logitech Download Assistant (lag/jerkiness/slowness when switching my keyboard/mouse from one system to another via a USB switch), so I removed it and reverted to the standard drivers for my Logitech keyboard and mouse.

    *** Again, I am NOT advising anyone to delete or uninstall or tweak anything. I am just providing information. I removed everything mentioned above, and everything is fine on my system. But be careful.

    Finally, what I should have originally done to get rid of Logitech Download Assistant in the WU list, rather than installing it, was use the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package for Win10:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments