Why Is 'Logitech Download Assistant' in Windows (7) Update? And Uneeded Products Offered During Download Process...

Anonymous
2011-10-06T07:37:08+00:00

For crying out loud, if MS let's every vendor that has download products deveop and distribute their own download manager for their own products the OS is going to become another big mess!  I like Logictech products but I see absolutely no reason under the sun why Windows Update should be offering up Logitech's Download Assistant!?  Since I'm not aware of how to simply delete a Windows Update product if not needed I have hidden it.  I hope the next time I look to see what I've hidden it will be gone.

And while I'm on the kick...  I really hate getting into so many downloads today where you have to be a sort of detective to make sure you click on the right download button of what you are looking for in order to avoid downloading or getting tangled up in something you are not looking for.  Likewise once you are installing a downloaded product you have to uncheck one or more varieties of unwanted special browser menus.

As far as I'm concernied it all fits under 'dirty advertising' and so far I'm pretty good at taking my time to make sure things I don't want get unchecked!  Shame on the industry.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-07T08:23:36+00:00

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your information with us if you have any suggestion or feedback on Windows 7 you can post at Windows 7 feedback link mentioned below:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-09T22:24:25+00:00

    Deloppoled, if you have a non-functioning Windows Update thingy I was wondering if you missed installed the Windows 8.1 Update.  IIRC anyone who didn't won't get any further updates.

    http://microsoft-news.com/windows-8-1-update-now-available-download-it-now/

    This is not an MS site but gives you some info.  Because of where I am presently I am picking up only non-English MS sites in Google Search, so I am not bothering to give those URLs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-09T18:34:07+00:00

    some of their answers look generated!  Quality of the forum then gets reduced to c ra p (like spam!)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-31T22:48:49+00:00

    Interesting. I wish that I had a version of Windows 8.1 that had a functioning Windows Update. Apparently I upgraded to Win 8.1 too early in the cycle and ended up with a Win 8.1 that does not have a working version of Windows Update. Has this been fixed yet? It's only been over a year that many have had this issue. Every time that I remember to update my Windows 8.1 I have to open Power Shell and run the following,

    Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSignedImport-Module PSWindowsUpdateGet-WUInstall

    Kind of a PITA considering that I thought that I paid for an OS (Win 8.1) that had Windows Update included. 

    Why Microsoft hasn't provided a fix for this after nearly two years is beyond me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-23T15:31:41+00:00

    I found this thread as I was wondering about the Logitech Download Assistant myself.  I have a newly set up Windows 8.1 machine and am slowly exploring it 'under the bonnet/hood'.  (I have migrated from Vista.)

    In short, I think there is a lot of ranting going on here.  With some I might sympathize, but I think some misses the mark.

    In my case I was thinking about disabling it at start-up, but it is a pretty small utility and it might not be sensible to do so since one does not normally 'run' Logitech 'programmes' and therefore does not trigger any software update check.

    The file itself is called "rundll32.exe".

    Description: Windows host process (Rundll32)

    Product name: MS Windows Operating System.

    If you look at this Logitech forum

    http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-and-Pointing-Devices/Logitech-Download-Assistant-versus-Logitech-Setpoint/td-p/859494

    you will see it is "a program that helps you detect and download newly released updates for your Logitech software".

    Scroll down to a post of 13 Jul 12 to see it.

    I have connected a Logitech webcam and two different wireless mice to the computer.  They are USB devices so I am not sure how they may have led to the Download Assistant being present and, therefore, I do not know how/when this piece of software arrived on my computer.

    My normal mouse is a 'no name' wired model bought from Maplin, a UK IT accessory chain.

    I am not an expert but my view is

    (1) not to waste time uninstalling

    (2) there is no harm in disabling at startup (even though it has only a "medium" impact).

    Maybe this helps somebody.

    Edit: It seems it is a common question and it looks like the utility comes with Windows:

    http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/27045-windows-startup-item.html

    Ignore the speculative post about uninstalling via Install/Uninstall programmes (also mentioned in this thread).  Important is that the OP did a "clean install of Windows 8", yet found Logitech Download Assistant.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments