Received error 0x8007000e trying to install Windows 7 SP1 x86.

Anonymous
2011-02-24T04:38:31+00:00

Hi all,

I just ran Windows Update and it was able to install everything except Windows 7 SP1.  I tried it again and it failed.  So the third time, I downloaded the Service Pack from the Microsoft downloads section and tried to run it, but it failed again.  This time, I got an error: ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY(0x8007000e).  Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Funny thing, I have 3 GB of RAM installed and 900 GB of free disk space so I'm at a loss as to what type of memory it is out of.  Running Task Manager, I have about 2 GB of RAM free.  Do I need to terminate more background applications and services to free up more RAM?

Thanks for any help.

============

I couldn't find this earlier post so I created another one with more details.  Please look under the title "Trouble installing Windows 7 SP1 x86 error 0x8007000e"

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-28T04:00:04+00:00

    Hello there,

    I had the same problem on Windos 7 Ultimate 32bit. On 3 of 4 test systems everything worked fine, the last one failed. In spite of 60GB free HDD space and 4GB RAM the installation end up with "outofmemory". Tracking the memory usage during install showed no more than 30% was used at all. After several trys and more than just a couple of hours I compared all testsystems with each other. The only thing that remains the same on the 3 "good" systems but differs on the "bad" one was the fact that several languagepacks were installed on the "bad".

    So I uninstalled all additional languages and started the servicepack 1 installation after rebooting. Not only the installion was successful, the required time decreased from more than 4 hours to around 50 minutes.

    Tomorrow I will reinstall the languagepacks.^^

    It's no real solution but a workaround. Maybe it will help you to.

    Hope to read your feedback and goog luck.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, I checked and I don't have any language packs installed (Start => Control Panel => Region and Language).  So no dice.  I thought I had at least installed the Chinese Language pack during the Windows install process, but didn't.

    I'm trying again by following the "Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7" article (http://windows.microsoft.com/troubleshootwindows7sp1)

    Hopefully, one of the suggestions will work.  Anyone else had any luck with any of the suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-28T04:09:27+00:00

    I built my PC as well: Core i7 running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.  Yeah I know, I could have installed the 64 bit version, but half the software I need/use are only 32 bit and not compatible with 64.  My main drive is 1.5 TB with 900 GB free and I have 3GB of RAM installed so I don't know how the SP1 install could "run out of memory"  Is it that big of a hog?

    I only have one PC running Windows 7.  All the others, including my laptop and work computers are running XP.  So this is my guinea pig.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-28T04:59:18+00:00

    Hello there,

    I had the same problem on Windos 7 Ultimate 32bit. On 3 of 4 test systems everything worked fine, the last one failed. In spite of 60GB free HDD space and 4GB RAM the installation end up with "outofmemory". Tracking the memory usage during install showed no more than 30% was used at all. After several trys and more than just a couple of hours I compared all testsystems with each other. The only thing that remains the same on the 3 "good" systems but differs on the "bad" one was the fact that several languagepacks were installed on the "bad".

    So I uninstalled all additional languages and started the servicepack 1 installation after rebooting. Not only the installion was successful, the required time decreased from more than 4 hours to around 50 minutes.

    Tomorrow I will reinstall the languagepacks.^^

    It's no real solution but a workaround. Maybe it will help you to.

    Hope to read your feedback and goog luck.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, I checked and I don't have any language packs installed (Start => Control Panel => Region and Language).  So no dice.  I thought I had at least installed the Chinese Language pack during the Windows install process, but didn't.

    I'm trying again by following the "Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7" article (http://windows.microsoft.com/troubleshootwindows7sp1)

     

    Hopefully, one of the suggestions will work.  Anyone else had any luck with any of the suggestions?

     

    Okay, I tried the "Run Windows Update Troubleshooter" suggestion and here's my result: the troubleshooter said it fixed the problem, but re-running the SP1 install from Windows update failed with the same error.

    Now I'm trying the second suggestion: Run the System Update Readiness tool.

    I'll report back what happened.

    Oh, BTW, I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-28T18:12:47+00:00

    Hi drj72,

    **** Method 1:

    You may check if you can install SP1 in a clean boot state. To perform the clean boot follow the step 1 mentioned in the below article and then try installing the update in this clean boot state -

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    If the issue gets resolved check which non-Microsoft service is causing the problem; referring to the article and following other steps.

    After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

    a.     Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

    b.     On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

    c.     When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

    Method 2:

    You may check if the hard disk is having errors or corrupt sectors, which is causing the issue. I would suggest you to use check disk command and check and repair for any errors on hard disk.

    Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted. For safety you can back up your data before using the check disk command if you can.

    Use the check disk commands as follows:

    a. Click Start.

    b. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.

    c. Type at the command prompt  “CHKDSK /P” and press ENTER to scan the disk.

    d. Type at the command prompt  “CHKDSK C: /F /R” and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

    NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

    Once chkdsk completes, boot to the desktop and then check.

    You may also refer to the below link for details and check using the steps provided in the article - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,

    Meghmala – Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more