Received error 0x8007000e trying to install Windows 7 SP1 x86.

Anonymous
2011-02-24T04:38:31+00:00

Hi all,

I just ran Windows Update and it was able to install everything except Windows 7 SP1.  I tried it again and it failed.  So the third time, I downloaded the Service Pack from the Microsoft downloads section and tried to run it, but it failed again.  This time, I got an error: ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY(0x8007000e).  Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Funny thing, I have 3 GB of RAM installed and 900 GB of free disk space so I'm at a loss as to what type of memory it is out of.  Running Task Manager, I have about 2 GB of RAM free.  Do I need to terminate more background applications and services to free up more RAM?

Thanks for any help.

============

I couldn't find this earlier post so I created another one with more details.  Please look under the title "Trouble installing Windows 7 SP1 x86 error 0x8007000e"

Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T06:30:15+00:00

    Win7 SP1: Installation tips

    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2011/02/16/windows-7-sp1-follow-up.aspx

    Strategies for freeing disk space

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Strategies-for-freeing-disk-space

    Also see...

    How to reclaim space after installing Win7 SP1

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/02/15/how-to-reclaim-space-after-applying-service-pack-1.aspx

    ==================================================

    Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for issues related to Windows 7 Service Packs. Availability of chat, phone or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there may be a charge:  https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=14496&&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn


    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T14:23:23+00:00

    It is not about needing to reclaim space after installing.

    It is that the installation doesn't complete because of an error called "ERROR_OUTOFMEMORY(0x8007000e)".

    My computer has also 3 GB of RAMs, which is the maximum for Windows 7 x86.

    I have 60 GB of harddisk space before installing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T15:33:08+00:00

    I'm seeing the exact same problem when trying to update our public workstation base image with Service Pack 1 (it's just a bare install of Windows 7 - no applications or anything!). Sorry I can't offer any help but thought it would be worth mentioning that you're not alone with this problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T17:34:02+00:00

    Howdy drj,

    In regards to Windows 7 sp1 install, the problem is undoubtedly a Msoft issue.  I have 5 separate computers that all have a failed sp1 install (4 pc & 1 laptop).  I personally am going to hold off on installing the sp for at least a couple of weeks as I'm positive some POG at Msoft will come up with a fix & there will be a workaround coming.  Please do not listen to anyone who tells you that it is you, or your computer, as most likely they don't know the diff between a hole & their...  Again, every computer under me has a failed sp1 install.  I highly doubt that each and every one is a corrupt installation of Windows 7, a missing Win sxs file, or anything else having to do with each and every installation.

    FYI the pc I'm using to write this to you is one of which I built: 

    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - ASUS P5Q-EM Mobo - Intel Q9650 3.0Ghz Quad-Core CPU - 8GB Patriot G-series DDR2 800 (4x2GB) - 2.5TB HDD (1.5 + 1.0 Seagate HDD's) - ATI Radeon HD5770 graphics... it runs alright :)  this pc is running Ricky-tick, without overclock even, and when I do get a wild hair & oc, I swear I smell burning rubber...

    All of my others are running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and are of various config's (all of which I built, except the laptop), but all have at least dual core CPU's & 4GB min RAM  --  4GB RAM with AMD Turion II Ultra M600 2.4Ghz dual-core (laptop)  //  4GB RAM with Intel E8300 Core 2 Duo 2.83Ghz dual core (pc)  //  6GB RAM with Intel Q8400 Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz quad core (pc)  //  8GB RAM with Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz dual core (pc).

    Hang in there

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-02-24T21:15:20+00:00

    Hello there,

    I had the same problem on Windos 7 Ultimate 32bit. On 3 of 4 test systems everything worked fine, the last one failed. In spite of 60GB free HDD space and 4GB RAM the installation end up with "outofmemory". Tracking the memory usage during install showed no more than 30% was used at all. After several trys and more than just a couple of hours I compared all testsystems with each other. The only thing that remains the same on the 3 "good" systems but differs on the "bad" one was the fact that several languagepacks were installed on the "bad".

    So I uninstalled all additional languages and started the servicepack 1 installation after rebooting. Not only the installion was successful, the required time decreased from more than 4 hours to around 50 minutes.

    Tomorrow I will reinstall the languagepacks.^^

    It's no real solution but a workaround. Maybe it will help you to.

    Hope to read your feedback and goog luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments