"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-02T23:22:30+00:00

    No.  Chrome was never installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T00:21:20+00:00

    Let's see if (temporarily) making IE the default and a little tweaking makes any difference [yes, I know you want FF to be the default but humor me anyway]:

    1. Re-assert IE as your default Browser in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults, then reboot.
    2. Download/run the appropriate scripts by my colleague, IE MVP Kai Schätzl: http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

    Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below.

    3a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then right-click on the script named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd and select Run as Administrator, then reboot.

    3b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then right-click on the script named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd and select Run as Administrator, then reboot once more.

    1. Reset IE Advanced settings yet again per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings
    2. Open Internet Explorer (32-bit only) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings] & run the Fix It in DEFAULT mode only.
    3. Download & manually install the System Update Readiness Tool; Win7 64-bit download => http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=167367 

    Upon installation, the utility will run & (ideally) fix any inconsistencies; reboot after the run completes. Details in the MORE INFORMATION section of KB947821.

    1. Now just sit back and let Automatic Updates do its thing. After an hour or so, check the end/bottom of the WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) again: Are you still seeing the 0x80072EE2 error or any other errors now?

    PS: Please leave IE as the default until I've replied to your next post. THX

    
    Comment: While it's perfectly OK to just update manually, one of Automatic Updating's benefits is always knowing
    *when* updates are available. While MS usually releases all security updates on the second Tuesday of every month and (sometimes) non-security updates on the fourth Tuesday of the month, VERY IMPORTANT "out-of-band" security updates can be released at
     ANY time (e.g., [KB2524375](http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2524375.mspx)).
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T16:12:03+00:00

    Hey:

    While I appreciate all the help, and particularly acknowledge the lengthy and detailed set of instructions above...

    ...I think I've reached my personal limit on this attempted fix.

    It's been my experience that while digging deeper and deeper to fix a particular computer problem, the fixes themselves can cause unintended collateral problems.

    I feel we have perhaps reached that point.

    I'm going to go with manual updates.

    It's disappointing because I'd read so many good things about "Windows 7" and thought I was home free with my "Home Premium" edition preinstalled on my brand new Dell.  And, in fact, I really like many of the features, including the look and feel, of "Windows 7".

    Thus, it's perplexing to me why such a simple problem, i.e., easy to grasp, is so hard to fix.

    Oh, well.  Manual updates it is.

    Thanks again.  I mean that sincerely.  You've put in a lot of time here and I genuinely appreciate it.

    But time to move on!

    Thanks again,

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-03T16:54:59+00:00

    ...it's perplexing to me why such a simple problem, i.e., easy to grasp, is so hard to fix

    Had you run the McAfee removal tool before installing MSE and before installing any/all Windows Updates, I doubt you'd be having this problem. The McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool is referenced in both of the following MSE resources:

    Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials

    http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bf757e6a-e320-4a67-92bc-767e6acb26c4

    List of [anti-virus and anti-malware] program cleanup/uninstall tools

    http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/407bf6da-c05d-4546-8788-0aa4c25a1f91

    That being said...

    A Repair Install (AKA In-Place Upgrade) of Win7 might resolve the problem. A clean install of Win7 will resolve the problem.

    You're welcome & thanks for your feedback. Over & out...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments