"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-17T19:53:24+00:00

    Very good.

    If MS releases any non-security updates for Win7 (SP1) on Tuesday, 22 Mar-11, I'll let you know by replying to this thread.

    Otherwise, check this page on Tuesday, 12 Apr-11 (after 20:00 UTC) to see what critical security updates have been released: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms11-apr.mspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-01T12:20:34+00:00

    I was having this problem as well but was able to fix by using the Group Policy Editor. 

    From the start/search box, I loaded the "Edit Group Policy" snap-in.

    In the snap-in, I went in to Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Update and changed two settings, none of which had been configured:

    1. I DISABLED "Specify intranet Microsoft update service location"
    2. I ENABLED "Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates"

    The second setting is likely not necessary to make this work...

    I hope this helps you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-01T14:22:50+00:00

    If MS releases any non-security updates for Win7 (SP1) on Tuesday, 22 Mar-11, I'll let you know by replying to this thread.

    @FiveVonWilliams: Is KB2524375 currently listed in Installed Updates?  [yes/no]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-01T14:42:20+00:00

    @Desert Wanderer:

    Thanks for the reply...

    ...but "Group Policy Editor" is NOT available in the "Home Premium" edition of "Windows 7", which is what came preinstalled on my new Dell ("Group Policy Editor" only comes with the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions of Windows 7).

    It's a pity, because it sounds like it would be an easy solution.

    Thanks anyway,

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments