"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-16T18:10:21+00:00

    PART A:

    1. Click Start , and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type timedate.cpl, and then press ENTER. The Date and Time dialog box opens.
    3. On the Date and Time tab, click Change date and time. If the User Account Control dialog box opens, click Continue.
    4. Are you prompted for an administrator password?  [yes/no]

    PART B: Open Update History & tell me:

    1. When (exact date) was Win7 SP1 (KB976932) installed?
    2. You'll see both Failed and Successful updates listed as well as whether the installation was done via Windows Update or Automatic Updates (IIRC).

      • What, if any, updates successfully installed via Automatic Updates? (post the KB number[s], ignoring any listings for KB2310138)

      • Write down & post any error numbers associated with Failed updates (all of which were via Automatic Updates, I assume); e.g., 0x80072EFF, 0xC80003FA, 0x8024402F, 0x800705B4, etc.

    
    COMMENT: At this point, I still *suspect* this behavior is due to failing to run the McAfee removal tool before installing MSE AND any/all Windows Updates. Your only recourse
    *may be* either a Repair Install (AKA In-Place Upgrade) or a clean install of Win7.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-16T20:17:36+00:00

    PART A:  No, I am not prompted for an Administrative password.

    PART B:

    1.  3/7/11

    2.  "View Update History" was wiped clean when I ran FIXIT in Aggressive mode (as instructed above).  Thus, I no longer have any record of Failed or Successful updates.  "Installed Updates" (which is where I got the above date) shows only successfully installed updates, of course.  Here are the KB numbers for these successfully installed updates (in chronological order beginning 3/6/11 and ending 3/14/11) for "Microsoft Windows":

    KB2393802

    KB2475792

    KB2484033

    KB2485376

    KB2487426

    KB2488113

    KB976902

    KB976932

    KB971033

    KB2305420

    KB2425227

    KB2479628

    KB2482017

    KB2479943

    KB2505438

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-16T22:59:47+00:00

    Please reconfirm that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is auto-dating itself roughly once every 24 hours AND that you can update it manually via the Update button on the Update tab.

    The above notwithstanding, we're really between the proverbial rock and  hard place right now.

       - Since the computer's already fully-patched, I can't have you test anything unless you uninstall an update (which you probably should NOT do).

       - Since you did the reset (admittedly at my bidding), we can't check Update History for errors.

       - Chances are the next security updates probably won't be released until the next "Patch Tuesday" a month from now  (i.e., 12 Apr-11).

    However, Microsoft very often does release non-security updates on the fourth Tuesday of the month. If (a) such an update is released and (b) it's an update for Win7 (or, e.g., an installed version of Office or Outlook), we should be able to get an Error or two then.

    In short, I don't think you should do anything or concern yourself about this at the moment.

    **<edit>**Has Automatic Updates or Windows Update ever worked since you took delivery of your computer "last month?"

    </edit>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-17T15:26:13+00:00

    1.  MSE auto-updates every day.  It also updates manually (I just tried it), no problems.

    2.  To my knowledge, Automatic Updates for Windows Update has never worked (automatically) since I took delivery of my computer.  The order of events in discovering this problem was roughly as follows (to the best of my recollection):

    • Before even connecting via cable modem to the internet, and knowing I was going to use MSE as my "Security Suite", I removed the McAfee free trial (pre-installed by Dell) via Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs".
    • Immediately upon connecting to the internet, I download MSE and installed, no problems.
    • It wasn't until a couple weeks later that I noticed a red flag in my Windows 7 "Action Center".  I'm not sure if this was triggered by just a set amount of time elapsing without an update, or because some other program triggered it.
    • It took me hours to figure out that, while I couldn't update by clicking "Check for updates" (server busy error code), I could update by clicking "Check online for updates from Microsoft update" (I had assumed these links were one and the same command).
    • It took additional hours of research online to narrow my focus to "You receive updates managed by your system administrator".  This period included using the McAfee Removal Tool, FIXIT tool, TDSSKiller, checking for a Proxy server, etc.
    • I finally posted the question here at microsoft.answers.com, and have followed the steps above.

    3.  I will gladly let this problem lie for a while.  I'm pretty sick of it.  However, if I get any Errors next month as you indicate above, I'll continue this thread.

    Thanks again for your help,

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments