"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-15T20:00:35+00:00

    You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection, no doubt due to having failed to run the McAfee removal tool prior to installing MSE.

    OPTION A: You can begin a free MSE Support incident by opening your browser to https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/. Select the "I think my computer is infected" option and then select the appropriate available support option offered for your region.

    OPTION B: Microsoft PCSafety provides all home users (only) with no-charge support in dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted software), and adware.

    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

    This support is also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:  https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/

    OPTION C (Recommended): See...

       • Cleaning a Compromised System

          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

    See the ANSWER post in this thread and follow those instructions (to-the-letter and in order!) to return your computer to a secure & functional state.

    Wish I'd had better news for you. Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-15T21:11:34+00:00

    I appreciate you trying to help...

    ...but there's no way I'm doing a complete re-install of Windows 7 on a brand new computer.

    1.  For one thing, I'm not so sure I've been "hijacked".

    2.  For another, if I was:

    a.  The only effect has been the Windows Update problem detailed above.  Everything else works just fine.

    b.  It must have happened in the few seconds it took to download and install Microsoft Security Essentials after I first connected my computer, in which case there's a much bigger problem Out There than just my own personal computer.

    And finally:

    3.  This solution is akin to using a sledgehammer to trim a hangnail.

    I'll just live with manual updates.

    Thanks anyway,

    Five

    P.S.  BTW, if indeed this is all because I failed to run the McAfee Removal Tool on top of uninstalling the program via Control Panel, an option that was never even mentioned let alone presented to me, then Microsoft, Dell, and especially McAfee should all be horsewhipped for designing software that is so vulnerable, poorly documented procedurally, and just plain begging for trouble.

    Again, however, I doubt this "hijacking" is the actual problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-15T21:37:17+00:00

    I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay...

    Sorry, I must have overlooked the above in your first post.

    1. Is Automatic Updating enabled (turned on)?  [yes/no]
    2. Are ALL of the following updates listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)?

        • KB2479943, KB2482017, KB2485376, KB2393802, KB2479628 [and possibly KB976932]

    1. Open MSE Help | About: What Antimalware/Virus Definitions version is listed here (e.g., v1.98.7654.1)?  What Engine Version?
    2. IN RE "You receive updates > Managed by your system administrator," does the computer belong to you or your employer or school? If you, are you logged in to the Administrator account (not just a User Account with Administrative privileges) when you try to change this setting?
    
    IN RE running the McAfee removal tool prior to installing MSE, see [http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/check-list-for-installing-microsoft-security/bf757e6a-e320-4a67-92bc-767e6acb26c4](http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/check-list-for-installing-microsoft-security/bf757e6a-e320-4a67-92bc-767e6acb26c4)
    
    IN RE horsewhipping McAfee (and Norton), I couldn't agree with you more. Even the McAfee techs seldom mention it (though they use it via Remote Assistance and charge the McAfee customer $89.95 USD for their services).
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-16T14:47:38+00:00

    1.  Yes, automatic updating is enabled.

    2.  Yes, all of them.

    3.  Microsoft Security Essentials (Version 2.0.657.0):

    • Antimalware Client Version:  3.0.8107.0
    • Antivirus Definition:  1.99.1245.0
    • Engine Version:  1.1.6603.0

    4.  The computer belongs to me.  It's a home computer and I'm the sole user.  There is only one account.  It is the Administrator account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments