"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T00:55:13+00:00

    WARNING!!!! ALL WINDOWS 7 USERS ALL VERSIONS!!! WINDOWS UPDATE DESTROYS YOUR WINDOWS 7 !!!(EVEN GENUINE VERSIONS) This is not a hoax it has happened to me on this tower unit now too. I have even after a system restore. (to a date in January in this case). It seems Microsoft don't want any Windows 7 user to continue using it's stable operating system and "upgrade" to that utter **** Windows 8. The Updates that cause the systematic breakdown of Windows 7 relate to CRITICAL security updates for the .Net part of the OS. After the update vital services start to turn off. Usually Windows update and Windows defender to begin with. If you use a Wireless LAN or WiFi connection to access the internet then this also will go into oblivion. This is a clear breach of the US Supreme Court's ruling which stated that any further breaches of its ruling will result in Microsoft as a company being seized by the state and broken up and sold to its competitors. I thought when this happened with my laptop that it was down to what Microsoft was saying that dodgy installation of Intel's Rapid Storage driver. THIS I NOW KNOW WAS A BLATANT LIE!!!. IT CAN CAUSE SOME SYSTEMS TO COME OUT WITH THE "Windows not Genuine" error. and using an earlier version of the driver corrects that. But this is looking now like a blatant bit of gerrymandering by Microsoft to get everybody to buy the latest version of their Operating System. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY EXCUSE BY MICROSOFT DEMAND THEY FIX YOUR COMPUTER OR YOU WILL SUE THEM AND REPORT THEM TO THE US SUPREME COURT. Restoring to an earlier point in your systems history will not correct the problem I am now going to have to re-install FROM SCRATCH both my OEM Windows 7 on my Laptop and My GENUINE Windows 7 Home Premium on my Tower system. I will lose a heck of a lot of programs many of which I no longer have the install files for so will have to repurchase them. I'm going to make Microsoft PAY for those third party softwares. And I will have to be selective about what Updates I install. Copy and repost this on ALL Microsoft forums and on Facebook or share this post please and DO NOT DO ANY UPDATES until Microsoft explain themselves. Talk about a bunch of shysters...Sheesh!

    This is my status post for 17/05/13 at 01-50 GMT. I now have 2 systems in dire straights thanks to Microshaft! And I BETA tested Windows 8 and know how utterly **** it is for an Ordinary Laptop and/or a Desktop/Tower system. I wasn't the only Beta Tester to find this. And I HAVE tried the subsequent full release... And guess what? Its WORSE!! I AM considering legal action against Microsoft for doing this dirty trick on LOYAL users of a STABEL and perfectly acceptable Operating System namely Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T05:30:04+00:00

    WINDOWS UPDATE DESTROYS YOUR WINDOWS 7...It seems Microsoft don't want any Windows 7 user to continue using it's stable operating system and "upgrade" to that utter **** Windows 8           

    Horse hockey!

    PS: ur spiel chukkers broke

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-18T00:26:55+00:00

    I confirm that there IS a problem with two IMPORTANT security updates for the .NET Framework (KB2804579 and KB2804576). When these install a number of services stop working and affect large and vital parts of Windows 7 (Regardless of which version of Windows 7)

    On my Tower system I was lucky I still had an early restore point (24/04/13) to fall back to. However my Medion/Akoya laptop and its OEM Windows 7 is another matter. I can only restore to 11/05/13 when all the really bad issues started. well after the update happened. (I have since since changed my Update settings to Download and let me install. As for my comment on Windows 8... I stand by what I said. Its hopeless on a normal Laptop, Desktop or tower system. Its reasonable on a Tablet, touch screen Laptop or phone, but can be a bind at times. I'm not the only UK and European Beta Tester to find this. I do hope that something is done in the update to resolve many of the issues I and my fellow testers pointed out. From what experience I've had of the full release (Both 8 and 8 Pro) I can see very little bas been resolved and would not recommend it to Business Users who are not "Gadget Freaks".

    I will have to re-install the OEM windows on the Laptop. I also write and publish children's Science Fiction stories for the Amazon Kindle. I'm currently backing up my files and critical data to an external drive. I will have to repurchase some of the softwares I have installed as I no longer have the install files. or the discs. This is going to cost me around £3000 in total (FL Studio 10, Virtual DJ Pro 7 and some other proprietary software that is also hideously expensive, And my CUSTOM Artwork software from a firm who no longer make that particular version for Windows any-more. So as you can see I have my work cut out.

    As for my spell checker, it's working fine. I was so infuriated when I wrote my post I kept hitting the wrong keys. And why, pray tell is the spell checker on the Forum not capable of understanding or recognising UK English? I've given up trying to get Facebook to stick to one standardised spell checker. It seems to change itself from UK English one time I visit to US English the next time. So it would please me, and other Brits, if BOTH versions or settings could be made accessible on here.

    I'm not exactly sure yet just what has gone so drastically wrong with those two security updates. But a newsletter or some warning of the consequences might not go amiss.

    Incidentally, we had a similar problem recently with our household server we use for FTP work, That was running Server 2012. However that seems to have since corrected itself. Have there been some updates for this recently?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-18T01:12:39+00:00

    I confirm that there IS a problem with two IMPORTANT security updates for the .NET Framework (KB2804579 and KB2804576)...

    OPTION A: To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please begin your own, new thread about your problem in an appropriate forum. State your current IE version and full Windows version (e.g., Win7 32-bit SP1; Win7 64-bit SP1) in your first post. Thank you.

    OPTION B: For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. [1]

    For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

    =================================================

    [1] Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time; Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments