"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T15:03:30+00:00

    I have had this issue for years on my refurb Dell Studio laptop running W7 HP 64 bit.  My issue was 100% identical to the one here, absolutely no variation.  Yesterday a friend of the wife stops over who works in the business stopped over and looked at this issue.  An hour later it's resolved.  The fix was given by a prior poster, the tech answering the questions advised against doing it.  We did it and it was fine.  I think I am done with Dell as it seems certain that something they did in the refurb process is going to be root cause.  Here is the post this techie found and executed, works like a champ and no bad effects at all. (reboot is mandatory, it will not fix until you reboot): 

    The other day, I encountered a bizarre issue when performing a routine setup on a refurbished (read: practically brand new) Dell Studio laptop. The problem manifested itself when Windows Update was run; rather than successfully connect to the Windows Update server and download updates information, the client would return an error:

    Quote:

    Error Code 0x80072EE2 <br><br>You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

    This sort of behavior is expected if your PC is set to receive Windows Updates via the WSUS service; in other words, not from the standard Windows Updates servers. But this computer was all-new (a new Windows install) and had never had a group policy set related to this (at least, it wasn't supposed to have had it set)!

    None of the usual Windows Update repair tools corrected the problem. Luckily, however, after a bit of research and experimentation, I devised a solution. Please note that this solution should not be performed if your computer uses a Group Policy for Windows Update:

    1. Open RegEdit and navigate to *HKLM\Software\Policies*
    2. Remove any and all values within this key. Most likely, the culprit is a faulty Windows Update source server. Sometimes this is the result of a latent or previous infection.
    3. Finally, download and run Microsoft FixIt 50202. Try the Default settings first, and if that does not work, try Aggressive.
    4. Reboot the computer and check to see that Windows Update is working properly.

    An annoying issue to be sure, but at least this solution works! Please let me know if this solution has helped you. 

    __________________

    -Steve

    Born a technician, though always willing to learn and improve. :)

    Managing Editor, DigitalChumps.com

    Senior Editor, Notebookcheck

    Owner/Sole Proprieter, Triple-S Computers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-06T22:08:30+00:00

    A1a.  KB2656356 is installed.  KB2572077 is not.

    A1b.  KB2656356 was installed on 1/15/2012.

    A1c.  No, KB2572077 is not listed in "Update History" as a Failed update.

    A2.  I ran a manual update just before I posted my reply.  It returned one update, which I downloaded and installed:  KB2310138 (Definition 1.119.1402.0).

    A3.  Didn't know this about IE and the operating system (though it seems odd to me to couple them in this way, just for the reason I'm demonstrating).  And it's probably true that I have downloaded/installed some updates associated with IE.  I sometimes just download/install a batch of updates all at once without any "weeding".

    4.  Automatic Updates is still enabled.  When I go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change Settings, the drop down menu still shows "Install updates automatically (recommended)" as selected.

    5.  As far as I know, MSE is auto-updating itself.  I just opened the program and went to the "Updates" tab.  Under "Definitions last checked" it had yesterday's date (and I didn't update manually yesterday).  I then clicked "Update" and got a normal updating bar.  The "Definitions last checked" date is now the current date and time.

    6.  Don't know what to say about KB2572077.  If I'm unsure about a recommended update, I usually just install it.  I only weed out the ones I'm pretty sure I don't need (though I'll start including IE stuff now after your caution), so I don't know why it's missing.

    Just for kicks, I tried searching for updates again by clicking the normal "Check for updates" link in Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update, but just like an old unwanted friend, Error Code 80072EE2 reappeared.  Then, as I usually do, under the sentence "Managed by your system administrator", I clicked the bottom-most link, "Check online for updates from Microsoft updates".  It worked immediately, retuning "Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.119.1423.0) which I installed.

    I'll pay attention to the next batch of Windows Updates on February 14th, but don't really anticipate any problems installing them.

    7.  I don't remember if SP1 was eventually offered via Windows Update or whether I installed it manually.  Probably the former, because I don't recall - and can think why - I'd do it manually.

    Again, as before, I appreciate your help...

    ...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-06T18:54:07+00:00

    [1] Neither KB2573076 nor KB2572077 are installed.

    [2] Antivirus [& Antimalware] definition: 1.119.1402.0

    [3] Since I never use IE, I don't download or install any updates having to do with IE.

    A1a. If Win7 64-bit SP1 is installed, critical security updates KB2656356 (29 Dec-11) and*KB2572077* (11 Oct-11) should BOTH be installed!  This may not bode well for the security of your computer. See below #6.

    A1b. When (exact date) was KB2656356 installed according to Installed Updates (and/or Update History)?

    A1c. Is KB2572077 listed in Update History as a failed update?

    A2. You posted your reply at 17:04 UTC [12:04 EST/9:04 PST] on 6 Feb-12. When did you last run a manual check for Windows Updates per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-can-I-tell-if-my-computer-is-up-to-date?

    A3. While you may not depend on IE, your Operating System does. If IE's not working properly & fully-patched, Windows isn't either!  [In any event, the fact that KB2618444 is installed tells me that you have installed "updates having to do with IE." <wink> ]

    1. Is Automatic Updates (AU) still enabled? If not, can you enable AU, reboot & then find it's still enabled?

    From an earlier exchange in this thread:

    Q: Please reconfirm that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is auto-dating itself roughly once every 24 hours AND that you can update it manually via the Update button on the Update tab.

    A: MSE auto-updates every day.  It also updates manually (I just tried it), no problems

    1. Can you still successfully update MSE manually via the UPDATE button on the UPDATE tab?  [YES/NO]

    From other earlier exchanges in this thread:

    Q: Did you (a) uninstall the [preinstalled] McAfee free-trial AND THEN (b) download/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you installed Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)?

    A: No, I didn't.

    Q: Has Automatic Updates or Windows Update ever worked since you took delivery of your computer [in February 2011]?

    A: To my knowledge, Automatic Updates for Windows Update has never worked (automatically) since I took delivery of my computer.  The order of events in discovering this problem was roughly as follows (to the best of my recollection):

    • Before even connecting via cable modem to the internet, and knowing I was going to use MSE as my "Security Suite", I removed the McAfee free trial (pre-installed by Dell) via Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs".
    • Immediately upon connecting to the internet, I download MSE and installed, no problems.
    • It wasn't until a couple weeks later that I noticed a red flag in my Windows 7 "Action Center".  I'm not sure if this was triggered by just a set amount of time elapsing without an update, or because some other program triggered it.
    • It took me hours to figure out that, while I couldn't update by clicking "Check for updates" (server busy error code), I could update by clicking "Check online for updates from Microsoft update" (I had assumed these links were one and the same command).
    • It took additional hours of research online to narrow my focus to "You receive updates managed by your system administrator".  [Note: This was after you'd installed MSE without having first run the Norton Consumer Products Removal Tool.]
    1. If Automatic Updates still isn't working - especially if KB2572077 is not offered when you run a Windows Update check manually and/or if you have any problems installed the next batch of Windows Updates on 14 February - you should be VERY concerned about the overall security of your computer in its current state IMHO.

    **<edit>**From a post of yours in a different thread:

    I don't get offered SP1 when I manually update.  [source]

    1. Was SP1 eventually offered via Windows Update or did you install it manually?

    </edit>

    [Last Revised (added #7) - 06 February 2012, 19:04 UTC]

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-06T17:04:25+00:00

    1.  Both.  Once a month, I go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update, and click the bottom-most link, "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update.  This returns a list of Windows and MSE updates, which I then download and install.

    2.  Microsoft Security Essentials:

    Security Essentials Version: 2.1.1116.0

    Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8402.0

    Engine Version: 1.1.8001.0

    Antivirus definition: 1.119.1402.0

    Antispyware definition: 1.119.1402.0

    Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.7707.0

    Network Inspection System Definition Version: 10.7.0.0

    3.  Windows 7 Home Premium

    Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

    4.

    KB2631813 - Yes

    KB2644615 - Yes

    KB2584146 - Yes

    KB2585542 - Yes

    KB2618444 - Yes

    KB2639417 - Yes

    KB2620712 - Yes

    KB2556532 - Yes

    KB2656356 - Yes

    Neither KB2573076 nor KB2572077 are installed.  For KB257xxxx, I can find only:

    KB2570791

    KB2570947

    KB2579686

    KB2544521 - No

    Windows Internet Explorer 9 - No

    I don't use IE.  Instead, I use Firefox.  The version of IE that came pre-installed on my Dell is:

    Windows Explorer 8

    Version 8.0.760117514

    Update Versions:  0

    Since I never use IE, I don't download or install any updates having to do with IE.

    Finally, unless something has changed in the past year that specifically targets this issue (of manually having to download/install Windows/MSE updates), then I'm still okay with manually updating once a month.

    Thanks,

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments