"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T19:14:36+00:00

    They write the os.  When an important feature like receiving updates does not work, even though the user window setting are correct, that's an issue.  This is "home premium" and should be geared to home users.  Typical home user has no clue what a 'group policy' is.  Then there are 3 places to click the manually get updates - all on the same window.  Click on one and it will go look for, and return updates.  The other 2, gives you 80072EE2 error.  So why are there 3 places to click to perform the same action, and no explanation as to any difference?  Why does one act differently?  This alone is bizarre.  why is the actual cause of the problem not attached to this error anywhere on the MS site?  There are many possible causes but not all are spelled out.  And I have to think it is possible for the os to see variations in the actions and give more precise error information.  

    Sorry, I expect better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T18:48:40+00:00

    How is any of this Microsoft's responsibility?

    Group Policy on brand-new computers (including brand-new Dell computers) is a blank slate. [I know because I've got one!] Microsoft didn't set any GP restrictions, the previous owner of the computer did.

    Yes, you'd expect that a Refurbished computer would have been "wiped 'n reloaded" but all-too-often such is not the case.

    Caveat emptor!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T18:37:41+00:00

    You would figure any return would be completely wiped and reloaded os prior to resale, but, apparently not.  I previously bought a 'off lease' Dell and that one was certainly reloaded and I was really happy with that deal.  This one, it was a really nice machine at a real good price and other than this I have been happy with it.   When it arrived it could not be told from new.  So did this issue hurt anything?  Seems not.  Did it eat many many hours of time?  Yes.  A major brand, selling such machines as 'same as new', should not be shipping stuff with these little glitches off their 'home and home office' site.   

    The bigger disappointment is with microsoft.  To issue this obscure error code and they certainly do not have this fix info anywhere on their site - that's just poor.  Not surprising that their market share has declined and is continuing to decline.  People just get to the point they've had enough.  I really do not know it the mac platform is worth the premium it costs, but, over the next year or 2 I am likely to find out.  It cannot be worse.  You get tired of funding this nonsense.

    I just feel better for now, knowing it's resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-07T18:13:27+00:00

    If you think a refurbished computer is the equivalent of a (practically) brand-new computer, I've got a nice bridge you may be interested in! <wink>

    PS: We've learned that GP resolution you referenced is very often necessary when dealing with refurbished computers, most of which are Returns from Business customers whose workstations update via WSUS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments