"Security Essentials" updates automatically, "Windows Update" does not?

Anonymous
2011-03-14T18:58:28+00:00

Hi:

I bought a new Dell last month pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I immediately downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (after removing via Control Panel a trial version of McAfee, I believe it was, which I never enabled/activated) to use as my Security Suite.

According to my "View Update History", Microsoft Security Essentials updates automatically every day.

"Windows Update" itself, however, does not.

This is despite the original default settings being in place, i.e., "install updates automatically" is checked.

When I finally noticed this and attempted to manually check for updates, I kept getting the dreaded "server is busy" error code.  This lasted several hours.  When I was finally able to connect, I received a long list of updates to download/install.  However, when I tried to do so, several "Failed" (according to "View Update History"), including some marked "Important".  Further, when I manually check for updates again, these "Failed" updates don't reappear, so I don't know how to get them.

More importantly, I don't understand why "Microsoft Security Essentials" updates automatically and daily and without problem, while "Windows Updates", though set to update automatically, does not?

True, my computer is turned off at 3:00AM (the default update time), but my understanding is that the update should then occur (delayed) the next time the computer is turned on.

I've read several of the questions/answers here, and have tried most of what was suggested - for example:

  • My internet connection is obviously working fine.
  • I have no "Proxy Server".
  • I ran "TDSSKiller" and there was no threat found.
  • I also run the Microsoft "Fix Tool", which shows that something was fixed, but it has no effect.  And every time I run it, it apparently "fixes" the same thing.  To no effect.

I ran Windows Update again manually before posting here, and it seems to have worked okay, but why does it not work automatically?

Thanks,

Five

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T00:25:30+00:00

If all were well with your computer: 

  1. You should not be getting 80072EE2 errors [1] when running a manual check for updates assuming your User Account has the requisite Permissions.
  2. You should not be seeing any "Managed by your system administrator" if your User Account has the requisite Permissions. [2]
  3. KB2572077 should be installed IMHO, especially if Win7 SP1 is installed. [3]

I appreciate your help...but let's not (both) let this become a full-time career!

Computer security is my full-time career! <wink> [although I'm a volunteer here]

===============================================================

[1] See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941 

[2] Start | Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings (left-hand menu) | Allow all users to install updates on this computer <=check/enable this option | OK your way out & Reboot | Make sure the option is still checked/enabled.

[3] For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates, visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-15T20:00:35+00:00

    You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection, no doubt due to having failed to run the McAfee removal tool prior to installing MSE.

    OPTION A: You can begin a free MSE Support incident by opening your browser to https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/. Select the "I think my computer is infected" option and then select the appropriate available support option offered for your region.

    OPTION B: Microsoft PCSafety provides all home users (only) with no-charge support in dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted software), and adware.

    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

    This support is also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:  https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/

    OPTION C (Recommended): See...

       • Cleaning a Compromised System

          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

    See the ANSWER post in this thread and follow those instructions (to-the-letter and in order!) to return your computer to a secure & functional state.

    Wish I'd had better news for you. Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-15T19:55:11+00:00

    I followed the steps above...

    ...but they did not fix the problem, i.e., my Windows Update page still says "You receive updates:" "Managed by your system administrator" instead of "For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update".  I still get the same error code (server is busy) if I click "Check for updates", and I still get updates ONLY by manually clicking "Check online for updates from "Microsoft Update".

    1.  I used the McAfee Removal Tool (Run as Administrator).

    2.  I reset IE8 Advanced settings as above, even though I don't use IE8 (I use the current version of Firefox as my browser).

    3.  I used the above FIXIT tool in both DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes.

    No change.

    [Except for losing my entire update history in Windows Update.]

    I'm just about ready to surrender, and update manually when I remember to do so.

    Why would Dell - or Microsoft - ship a brand new computer for simple home use (single user) configured this way?

    Mystified,

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-15T18:23:59+00:00
    1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
    2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).
    3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1 above and select Run as Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.
    4. Reset IE8 Advanced settings per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings
    5. Open Internet Explorer (32-bit only) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings] & run the Fix It in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [1]
    6. Reboot one last time & test.
    
    [1] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-15T15:48:56+00:00

    No, I didn't.

    However, I found another thread here that seems to have the EXACT same issue I'm having:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-7-update-does-not-run-daily-automatically/f154cec2-4d40-4944-a8be-0289cd70dd6b?tm=1300203396767&page=1#footer

    The only problem is, there doesn't appear to be a resolution given.

    My reply is (currently) at the end of the thread.  The issue seems to boil down to:

    Does anyone know any way in the "Change Settings" section of "Windows Update" to change "You receive updates managed by your system administrator" to "You receive updates for Windows and other products from Microsoft"?

    This would seem to be the way to fix the problem?

    Thanks,

    Five

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments