How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-29T03:54:26+00:00

    FWIW, when I upgraded from W8.1 to W10, my monitors switched numbers. This means that this is not just a function of the video card. My primary and #1 monitor under 8.1 was on the VGA connector, and the HDMI monitor was #2. Now they have switched. This is highly annoying because a number of apps, such as Google Hangouts, locate themselves on the #1 monitor rather than the primary monitor. Since there was obviously a software-level change, there ought to be a software-level remedy. Dang.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-03T03:12:15+00:00

    I did find a resolution to this issue after going through various suggestions in this post and experimenting with some suggestions by fiddling around on my own.

    Here is what I did:

    1. I have two 1080p monitors.

    Primary one connected directly via hdmi cable/

    Secondary one also with a hdmi cable (with a dvi to hdmi adapter on the graphic card and hdmi cable plugged into my secondary display).  I did this setup for the sake of getting a native hd resolution. 

    I  chose my primary display as the 'main display' in the options. 

    As usual the problem of wrong display numbering. 

    1. With the pc running I disconnected the hdmi cable connections on both monitors and swapped them over to each other.
    2. Then I pressed the detect button and lo! the displays rearranged themselves correctly as Primary ->1  and Secondary ->2.

    I can now slide my windows from the primary display on the left to the secondary display on the right, ->.

    How the **** MS could not have clarified this themselves in the first instance beats me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-03T07:08:20+00:00

    And of course it doesn't help my situation, where I have one HDMI and one VGA (because it is routed through a KVM). Though the other suggestion of simply unplugging the intended #2 and reconfiguring with only the intended #1 sounds like it might work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T01:48:23+00:00

    All I am saying is, the issue resolved for me with dual monitors directly connected to the GPU.  I don't have any routing switches.

    Of course, swapping the connections from the back of the monitors (not at the GPU) does solve the problem.

    Simple.  No hardware, software or registry hacks are required for this.

    If someone has only a HDMI and VGA cables,  swapping the connections might render the display connected to the VGA, only dependent on VGA supported resolutions, if it happens to be a full HD display.

    Anyway, I am happily using a correctly configured dual monitor setup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments