How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-07T02:03:47+00:00

    You can’t change the primary number but id solve the problem in which start up display priority in booting up on windows

    Go to "bios" - "init display first"

    just select priority display that fits on your Pc.

    Pci slot -

    Onboard -

    Peg -

    Just be careful!

    For me i used Peg

    My video card has 2 ports "VGA" primary monitor but #2 in display and "DVI" secondary monitor but #1 in display.

    Hope it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-07T00:29:32+00:00

    I found the way to fix the numbering.  Disconnect the second monitor and go to the display setting screen.  Click on "Identify".  When I did this the number assignment of my main laptop monitor changed to "1".  Then when I connected my other monitor it took the number "2" slot.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-13T01:55:41+00:00

    Found the resolution to this issue.

    Leave the screen resolution screen up on the monitor you want listed as 1

    Unplug all of your hdmi/dvi or other visual cables from the monitors or computers (whatever is easiest for you), excluding the one you want listed as display 1.

    if you only have one monitor plugged in and still see a monitor listed in the display screen settings window, hit the detect button to flush it out.

    From there, start connecting them as you'd like in order from 2 to #X.

    Once done hit the apply button.

    Previous to hitting the apply button my monitor 2 (right of my monitor 1) would require me to slide my boxes to the left of monitor 1.

    I just had this issue after making a few changes

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-25T03:32:27+00:00

    Go back and read the Mathew Wagner comment.

    My guess is that to reassign the monitor numbers, you must unplug the secondary monitor, after, if you extend,  carefully moving back all the programs that you've closed in the secondary extension.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments