How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-21T16:52:57+00:00

    This post doesn't actually answer the users quandary.  The user is specifically looking to change the device assignment of monitors in a multi-monitor environment.  This is necessary because several products use these identifiers when resolving how to display certain data (web applications, ProFx and Go To Meeting specifically).

    I believe this has something to do with the values and objects in the Hive Key HKLM\Hardware\DeviceMap\Video,  I have not had the chance to modify these as of yet.

    Furthermore, Microsoft really needs to do a better job of moderating these posts to remove erroneous and/or inapplicable answers.  Especially when it only takes one person to "Find this useful" for it to suddenly become the top answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-08T08:35:26+00:00

    So this not a problem..

    Thx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-10T02:38:46+00:00

    Hi Matthew, in the 3 years since you've posted this have you heard of, or found, any resolution for this issue? I started my own thread here: http://bit.ly/1EwqJdu, but no one seems to understand the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-10T03:49:52+00:00

    Hi.  Have you tried my suggestion to use a modified adapter with the auto-detect pin disabled?  (Three posts up - May 11, 2014.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments