How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-06T03:52:10+00:00

    I was able to switch the designations on Windows 10 with an Nvidia NVS 450 quad card.  I shut off the computer and unplugged all HDMI cables.  I plugged in the monitor I wanted as number 1 into the video card outlet closest to the edge of the box.  I turned on the computer, let everything load and then went to Display settings and clicked Identify.  It was identified as 1.  

    With the computer still on, I then plugged in the second monitor into the second outlet in the video card.  Checked the display settings and everything was still okay.  After reboot, the change still took.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-13T08:10:35+00:00

    I had this problem where my primary monitor was plugged into the DVI port on my GFX card and my secondary monitor was plugged into the DVI port on my motherboard - the secondary was coming up as number 1 and primary as number 2.

    It ended up being a BIOS setting that fixed it - I noticed that BIOS loaded up on the secondary monitor so the problem couldn't be Windows specific. I had a look the various menus and found there was a setting to force the BIOS to make the monitor plugged into the GFX the primary, rather than let it sort out which monitor was which automatically. Once I did this, Windows followed suit. For my BIOS (Asus) it was: Change to "Advanced" mode -> Advanced -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display, change Auto to PCI-E. I also enabled iGPU but I don't know if this did anything.

    I realise not everyone here having problems has the same set up as this so this might not solve it for them, but it's worth a shot if you do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-30T09:46:12+00:00

    apperently swapping cables physically resolves the issue.

    w7 favors DVI over VGA

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-21T13:18:17+00:00

    This does not resolve the problem with windows considering the TV to be #1. It forces your "2nd screen", your monitor to be set as main display. But the projection settings are then set to " show only on second display " for instance if you only want to display the picture on your main monitor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments