How to change monitor assignment in a dual monitor environment

Anonymous
2011-02-12T01:26:15+00:00

I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

Before I installed the tv - my Viewsonic sonic was the primary monitor. However, for some unknown reason - when I connected my Panasonic plasma tv to my video card - Windows made the TV as the number 1 primary monitor and my viewsonic as the secondary number 2 monitor.

How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-17T18:49:52+00:00

When you rt click the desktop and select Screen Resolution, you will be presented with a window showing the two monitors, simply click/hold one of the montors shown and drag it to the required position.

There are also other options, eg Identify, and Display, use the drop down to select the display (monitor) to use as the 'main' display (Some options only impact if you are using Extended Display and not Duplicate display

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-11T16:30:16+00:00

    I have two monitors attached to my Windows 7 computer - a viewsonic monitor and an panasonic plasma tv.

    How can I get Windows 7 to reverse those assignments? I want my Viewsonic monitor as the primary, number one monitor.

    I don't think you can even after three years. Here's one workaround for KVM switches that might apply to your situation.

    1. Buy a cheap M/F adapter and on the adapter disable the auto-detect pin - for VGA remove pin 12 with needlenose pliers, for DVI remove pin 16, for HDMI tape over pin 19. 
    2. Unplug the TV so windows automatically makes your monitor #1.
    3. Reconnect the TV using the modified adapter and it should not take over the #1 assignment from the monitor.

    For HDMI the tape trick is not necessarily destructive so you don't really need an adapter. For VGA and DVI you could do this on your original cable if you don't mind the risk of messing it up. You can search the web for more details on all of these.

    This technique is mainly to prevent dynamic reassignment when using KVM switches but it's worth a try in your situation. At least this way the monitor and TV shouldn't be reassigned dynamically so once you get the assignment you want it won't change.

    Please let us know if this works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-14T15:49:16+00:00

    Thanks a bunch for taking the time to reply.

    I've come to agree with all your conclusions.

    Will learn to work around what is really a minor inconvenience.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-13T20:57:46+00:00

    Well, for what I have been able to figure out is the  number value is for grahpics/video driver use, port assignment. No way to change this that I know of.

    You can make any monitor/TV primary display in monitor resolution support on your system.

    I have (3) video ports, HDMI, DVI, and VGA.

    My TV is attached to HDMI, which is assigned number 1.

    My main monitor (my primary monitor which I set when I set up my system) is attached to DVI, which is assigned number 2.

    My second monitor is attached to VGA which is assigned to number 3.

    If I remove the HDMI cable, my DVI becomes number 1, and my VGA becomes number 2, If I also remove the DVI cable, my VGA becomes number 1.

    It does not matter which ports I have attach too, HDMI on my PC will always show number 1 when attached. DVI will only show number 1 when there is no HDMI attached, VGA will only show number 1 when there is no HDMI or DVI attached.

    Port numbering does not hinder monitor or TV use.

    And yes there is things that are annoying, if you have to do a fresh OS install you will need to reassign primary monitor, (a wireless mouse is handy to have).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-13T16:54:38+00:00

    Also would like to see a resolution. Agree with the above. It's not the monitor assignments, it's the monitor number assignment. Had A Dell monitor attached to a desktop PC using the DVI port on a Nvidia

    GTX 660 graphics card. This was my primary monitor and wanted it to stay that way. Attached a Sony TV

    that is in another room via the HDMI port on the GTX 660. I have it set that the display is duplicated on both screens. Upon attaching, Windows immediately assigned the TV to be #1 and the Dell #2 and nothing I do seems to be able to change this.

        Aside from the problems presented above with the #1 and #2 being switched, consider this.

    Upon the startup of Windows, the startup screens are not shown on the #2 monitor even if the #1 is not turned on. First screen that pops up is the one asking for the password. Thus, if you are having a problem and want to hit the F12 say for example, in my case you'll have to do it via the TV in another room. All this could be avoided if the user had the ability to assign the monitor number.

         I am running:

         Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-960 processor @3.2GHz (8MB L2 Cache)

         16GB DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800

         Nvidia(R) GeForce(R) GTX 660 2GB

         Dell XPS 9100 Desktop

         Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1

         All drivers up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments