How to make Windows 7 look like XP

Anonymous
2010-12-31T03:44:28+00:00

We purchased a new laptop for our 73 year old father who was just getting used to Win XP.  He has asked if there is any way to make the interface look and work like XP?  So my question is:  is there any way to make the interface look and work like XP?

Brian

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2011-01-13T19:43:52+00:00

If you want that same classic mode (the gray toolbars and such), that does exist in Windows 7.  Just right-click your desktop, choose Personalize, then scroll down and click "Windows Classic".


If this solves your issue, click the 'Propose as Answer' link below, and vote as helpful by clicking the green triangle to the lelft. Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
@CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2010-12-31T14:01:43+00:00

For the most part it already does, because it was built from Windows XP.  For example, all windows still have the familiar _ and X buttons to minimize and close them.  You can also change the taskbar to show the words rather than just icons, or make other changes as you need.  While there's no "XP button", changes like this can get close.

If you are simply wanting the visual style to look like XP without changing any function, you can use a skinning program such as WindowBlinds by StarDock.


If this solves your issue, click the 'Propose as Answer' link below, and vote as helpful by clicking the green triangle to the lelft. Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-26T14:57:03+00:00

    Thanks! The Windows seven look to me is messy, noisy, busy, blatant. It just gets on my nerves. And I am two generations younger than Brian's dad, so not only old people don't like this look.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-30T02:23:04+00:00

    I guess there are many users that don't like the new GUI, I can understand why they just want to get their work done and all this re-modeling is getting in the way of the work.

    I hope this helps,

    You encapsulated my feelings exactly.  Computers exist to make us more productive.  Windows7 mushes up a very simple operating system.  The Fortune 500 company where I work still uses it, (Windows XP).  I want to know where all the bodies are buried.  I want to navigate through my computer quickly.  I feel like Microsoft is taking me on a ride I don't want to go on.  I got better things to do.

    I nominate yours as the best answer here.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-14T05:04:14+00:00

    All I'm wondering is if there is an easy way to have a folder pinned to the Start Menu that opens like a menu.

    I was able to pin a folder to the Start Menu.

    I was just not able to open it as a menu, as opposed to opening it as a Windows Emplorer window.

    (Only reason I'm asking, is my Start Menu is kinda full and I'd like to sort them into folders or sub-menus.  I thought this used to be easy.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments