My goodness people stop acting like Microsoft is trying to personally attack you for upgrading their UI.
I think, ZachChild, that you have missed the point here - perhaps with the uncritical acceptance that typifies our fashion-obsessed society...and which frequently leads it (mistakenly) to equate 'new' with 'improved'.
You say that with W7, Microsoft have 'upgraded' (=improved) their OS' user interface. Changed it certainly has, but I invite you to substantiate the assertion. You might point to (say) the partitioning capabilities now embedded in the OS. I would say
yes, that is an improvement of a sort, though it is arguable whether this is a UI feature (I would say not) and it leaves W7 less functional than many 3rd party partition managers; this is therefore a help only to more basic users. Was XP incapable of accommodating
the same partitioning functionality?
I believe noneknown's point was that W7 does not represent a sufficient advance to warrant the turbulence of the change and if so, I am with him/her completely. Changes in the aspects which are true UI (themes and other such appearance matters, for eg)
are mostly vacuous fripperies. Someone who needs a new colour or animation to stay satisfied with their PC also needs a new brain. Some other changes, such as those to the display of tree structures are nothing short of asinine. The change from the perfectly
intuitive + in a box in XP to signify the existence of a lower level directory structure to the less intuitive triangle is a degrade, not an upgrade, and the fact that it presents a smaller target to the searching mouse when attempting to expand or collapse
the tree merely lengthens the step backwards that has been taken. This is change for changes sake, and is rank stupidity. BTW 'folder' is another example of MS' recurring habit of changing a perfectly understandable name ('directory') into a no better one.
Improved security is one justifiable basis for a change of OS and the pundits who know more than me say that in this respect W7 is better than XP; I accept their expertise, but at the same time I also observe that patches to newly discovered vulnerabilities
arrive for W7 no less often than before for XP.
Finally, chew on this: do you think that MS would have been so keen to dispose of XP were its board, executives and shareholders not so desirous of the fresh income stream that Me, Vista & W7 would bring? Do you think that in 2020, W7 will be found so
wanting in the eyes of its users, or its successor so attractive by comparison that we will welcome its death? No, I'm afraid that questionably improved OS are too much part of the business model.