Hello,
Following is all referenced to Windows 7 Pro SP1 2009. Other flavors may vary...
Activity on this question seems to be low these days, which might erroneously suggest it was all solved a few years ago. In actual fact, it's more like it just faded into the usual numb acceptance of another of Microsoft's poor design choices. The problem
is not helped by the fact that the vast majority of users don't know the difference anyway. Think of how many users you've seen whose screens are a huge disorganized mishmash of icons conveniently auto-arranged for them in no particularly functional plan.
Well the good news seems to be that, if mere colours, desktop wallpapers, fonts, etc are your beef, then yes, there are all sorts of cures I found online, and will be happy to share if anyone still needs them. The starting point is to try Win 7's built in
adjustments, using START > CONTROL PANEL > PERSONALIZATION. Near the bottom of the first pane that then opens up (you'll liley have to scroll down), there is indeed a so-called "Windows Classic" "theme".
But all that does is give you back the blue and grey colour scheme long time users may remember. What it does not do is restore some key functionality of XP and earlier versions that MS have rather inexplicably eliminated. So if colours and wallpapers
are all one is concerned about, the solution is at hand. Win 7 also includes options to change default file applications, format of navigation in folders (eg. back forward arrows versus tiling), etc. As usual, they have moved everything around -- the moral
equivalent of deciding to locate the steering wheel in the trunk this year and the headlights facing in instead of out. But at least it's all there. I've fought with it enough by now that I could likely assist anyone else who has lost sight of those original
functions.
A far more serious drawback of Windows 7 lies in major changes in the way desktop windows (or "folders" if you like) are automatically positioned and sized, including total loss of ability to manually position icons within those folders. The dazzling array
of "look how clever we are" bells, whistles, and gimmicks distract expecially the younger newbie users from serious loss of ability to customize the
structural performance of one's desktop. Similar problems began with their file manager (in modern parlance "Windows Explorer") even before XP, but at least in that arena there have been some excellent third party replacements available (try XYplorer).
Likewise, those mature users who were never ever organized anyway and who mainly use their platform for unstructured entertainment may hardly have noticed a bump in the pavement. But for someone like me who keeps multiple panes of open folders set up on his
desktop (in fact the origin of the name "Windows" in the first place), each of them with well configured menus of file and program icons (shortcuts, filenames, etc), Windows 7 really is a sore point.
In fairness to MS, I am not saying Win 7 is all bad. I can see it is an advance over XP in many aspects of performance, and no doubt security. And I'm sure that for everything I can see, there is ten times that improvement in behind the scenes engineering.
But at the user level, these simple functional changes to desktop window handling are just plain bone-headed, and it is difficult to credit that they have anything to do with improved performance or security. Someone just wanted to give the car a new look
and said "well nobody uses their turn signal anyway". Earth to MS, some of us do, and need it badly. As well, MS's security has gone from difficult to downright infuriating. I wish MS would get over the concept that every standalone laptop is going to
be an essential component of a 100 computer corporate network with fifteen rotating users. I create my own pdf's and then have to fight with the idiot o/s to send them to my other laptop. Yes, I know how to assign each one the necessary "permissions" (say,
is there anything more annoying than sitting there staring at a message that says "You must have permission of your system administrator" as you grumble " I AM the system administrator you $%^# robot!" ?). It's just that I don't appreciate having to assign
that convoluted mess over and over and over again as I work with a bunch of high security files like pdf sketches of a door jamb. (yeah, that'll keep all our computers and our nation safe).
Sadly, none of the 15 or so "solutions" I have looked into so far seems even to touch on these deeper operational deficiencies of Windows 7. I have hung onto my XP platforms and spare copies of XP Pro for dear life, and still use them to this day, hopefully
until the day MS cleans up their act a bit and Win 7 is worth using. Given their recent total departure into Windows 8, that doesn't look promising though. Oddly enough, I seem to be one of the few people who gets MS's latest offering, Windows 8, and appreciates
what they are trying to do. It won't do for me either, but we'll see what shakes out of the tree the next couple of years. Between MS and third party developers, maybe something as functional as XP will reappear. Or as my various business use apps finally
force XP into full retirement, maybe Linux or Apple will step up to the plate. Paying attention Microsoft?
DS