Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-06T20:43:16+00:00

    I think there is only need for uninstalling the affected ATA controller port, but was pretty pi.... off about the problem so I uninstalled all of the ATA controller ports, meaning ATA 0, 1, 2,  plus the Intel AHCI SATA Controller where I opted for deleting the driver.

    I then rebooted and installed the last original Intel driver set from the computer manufacturer.

    No errors since!

    Laurus

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-08T05:00:45+00:00

    There seems to have been several solutions.   In my case when I got the Event ID 11 error code I received this as the details: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0."  I really just took a stab in the dark and figured that the controller error might have something to do with my HDD (I have a laptop).  My laptop came with a Seagate HDD so I ran the Seagate HDD diagnostics tests ("Seatools") which it failed.  Apparently, somehow my HDD had developed some bad sectors. Luckily, however, I was able to use a Seagate for DOS program that was able to correct the bad sectors.  Over a week later and no errors or "hang-ups"... My comp had been hanging up for about 10 secs every 2-4 minutes for a couple of weeks.  I'm glad it's now as good as new!

    Hope this helps someone :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-08T13:34:40+00:00

    I think there is only need for uninstalling the affected ATA controller port, but was pretty pi.... off about the problem so I uninstalled all of the ATA controller ports, meaning ATA 0, 1, 2,  plus the Intel AHCI SATA Controller where I opted for deleting the driver.

    I then rebooted and installed the last original Intel driver set from the computer manufacturer.

    No errors since!

    Laurus

    Sorry to everyone who read my initial post quoted above.

    After awhile the errors came back in full force with 21 ATAPI 11's in a row. So the uninstall of the drivers was not the solution, at least not in my case.

    Laurus

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-19T08:52:36+00:00

    I had this problem too. Solved it by re-installing ATA channels 0 and 1. Go to device manager--> IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers--> and delete ATA channel0 (2x) and ATA channel1 (2x). Reboot and check event logs for errors.

    Hope this helps.

    good luck

    After this the error did'nt return..keeping my fingers crossed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments