Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-23T01:03:15+00:00

    Same issue here. I had it on two different laptops, one with Win7Ultimate 64bit, another with Win7 Professional 64bit. On 1st one I replaced HD, as I didn't want to lose data. Problem persisted.

    At this point I suppose there is something screwed up in how Win7 64bit uses the HD drivers.

    I would say this is NOT an HW issue, but rather a HDD-drivers issue which needs to be resolved by a patch.

    Probably we are not the only ones and Microsoft would need to do something with it..

    The replaced HDD was a Seagate, the new one is a Toshiba (high range, quite expensive), but getting same errors in Event Manager. Laptops have less than a year of life, usage is quite light.

    Stuck without answers...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-12T17:54:32+00:00

    Hi. I am on a  not very old laptop MSI using a legal copy of windows 7 service pack 1.and 64 bit.

    Not really encountering problems (except having problems running my weekly back up again but I finally managed to do that)  but that's when I did notice all the errors in my logs..

    Looking at disk management, the disk they are referring to hard disk 1 is my external disk.

    I did analyze that disk and there were no errors so I would love to find out before I am really getting problems what this error is and how to solve it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-18T07:30:20+00:00

    A friend of mine had this problem on Windows 7 and after trying virtually everything I could think of over MSN (I was on the brink of saying the Drive was FUBAR) I finally discovered that his SATA drives were not connected to the Primary SATA ports (these are usually 2 of a different colour than the other 4). We switched to those ports and the problem was solved. I'm not sure if there was some Firmware update to the BIOS or perhaps even a Windows Update that suddenly made this an issue after a year of no problems but this fixed it straight away. Just thinking to save someone else the hours of effort including a windows Reinstall!

    Miss Chief

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-17T16:09:48+00:00

    Did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having the same issue and I'd rather not have to do a re-install unless I have to.  It's happening on a laptop with HDD and one cd drive.  Running Vista Home Prem. 64-bit.  I started looking around in the event viewer b/c my comp started "hanging up" about a month ago.  It does this about every 5 minutes or so which is also how often I get the Event ID 11 Error stating:

    "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0."

    Thinking the two may be related. - Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments