Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-20T01:20:50+00:00

    I'm getting the same errors, is there no fix for this problem?

    My computer keeps restarting as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-25T09:02:15+00:00

    Bill, yes the ata channels must be visible after rebooting.

    But my solution appeared not to be the right one. A couple of days after posting the message above my problems re-started. System hang, no proper reboots, etc.

    It now appers to be a problem with the SATA controller on my motherboard. I switched my harddisk connection from SATA controller 0 to controller 1 and system is running ok.

    So the event 11 atapi error:

    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

    also occures when using bad SATA controllers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-21T06:32:27+00:00

    Thanks, Ben.

    I followed your instructions, but I could only delete one of the ATA channels, and after rebooting, the 2nd ATA channel 0 returned!

    The good news is that I am not recognizing any noticeable impact from these errors.

    Bill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-12T11:08:05+00:00

    I had this problem too. Solved it by re-installing ATA channels 0 and 1. Go to device manager--> IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers--> and delete ATA channel0 (2x) and ATA channel1 (2x). Reboot and check event logs for errors.

    Hope this helps.

    good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments