Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-28T20:29:06+00:00

    I solved my ATAPI Event ID:11 errors promblem by installing the SATA AHCI drivers included in the Intel ""RST and AHCI Driver and GUI" driver package. It can be found by a search here: Intel Download Center . The SATA AHCI driver is located in the \Drivers\f6flpy-x64 or \f6flpy-x86 folders in the archive.

    Use "Device Manager" to update the driver by right clicking controller and so on. No deleting of old drivers. Just update. After updating restart computer. When restarted Windows will do a reinstall of the drivers for the harddrive(s). Another restart is required.

    After doing this I have not had an error since back in mid December 2012 and my computer is working smoother than ever.

    LaurentZG

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-26T03:16:03+00:00

    This seems to be solved by using Intel chipset installation utility to update ICH7 drivers. I''ll keep u posted if error returns

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-21T11:40:38+00:00

    I had this problem too. Solved it by re-installing ATA channels 0 and 1. Go to device manager--> IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers--> and delete ATA channel0 (2x) and ATA channel1 (2x). Reboot and check event logs for errors.

    Hope this helps.

    good luck

    After this the error did'nt return..keeping my fingers crossed

    The error returned again..Should I reinstall windows?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-19T08:52:36+00:00

    I had this problem too. Solved it by re-installing ATA channels 0 and 1. Go to device manager--> IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers--> and delete ATA channel0 (2x) and ATA channel1 (2x). Reboot and check event logs for errors.

    Hope this helps.

    good luck

    After this the error did'nt return..keeping my fingers crossed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments