Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-16T12:46:35+00:00

    Hello

          I'm experiencing the same errors, but only after Windows 7 was installed.  I had previously dual-booted XP and Vista.  Neither OS reported these errors.  I wiped out XP, and now dual-boot Win & and Vista.  Win 7 reports these errors and again, Vista does not.

          This does not appear to be a hardware issue, but a driver issue.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-09T23:31:16+00:00

    Thanks for your response Praseetha. I only have 1 internal cd-rom on my laptop and I did not connect a second one. So I doubt it if the error is because of 2 cd-roms. Any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-02T05:24:43+00:00

    Hi Marc Hendrickx,

    Welcome to Windows Vista Answers Forums!

    This error may be occur  if you have 2 cd-roms on the same ide channel with incorrect jumper settings.

    If the cd-rom jumpers were set as cable select then the IDE cable did not support it.  You may have to Configure the jumpers to master/slave option.

    Check the system manufacturer manual to get in touch the the system manufacturer for information on how to do the changes in BIOS.

    Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk

    Hope this information is helpful.

    Praseetha K

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments