Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-10T03:58:25+00:00

    I am also having the same issue. This is a new build running win 7 64 bit. Event log is full of atapi errors...performance seems to be degraded at times.

    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0

    **-** <Event xmlns="**http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event**">

    **-** <System>


    <Provider Name="atapi" />


    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>


    <Level>2</Level>


    <Task>0</Task>


    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>


    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-10T03:40:17.267578100Z" />


    <EventRecordID>36835</EventRecordID>


    <Channel>System</Channel>


    <Computer>blah</Computer>


    <Security />


    </System>

    **-** <EventData>


    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>


    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C004000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000005100000</Binary>


    </EventData>


    </Event>

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-02T00:44:45+00:00

    Did anyone get a fix for this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-17T11:16:04+00:00

    Hi, All.

    I just installed a Windows 7 Pro (Japanese) on a new Hitachi 1TB hardisk in my Dell Dimension 8400. It installed easily and works fine, except performance does seem very slow at times. When I checked the System error log, I see there have been dozens of disk errors (below) occuring each day. Does anyone have any suggestions to eliminate these errors?

    Many thanks in advance!

    ログの名前:         System

    ソース:           Disk

    日付:            2009/12/17 18:29:30

    イベント ID:       11

    タスクのカテゴリ:      なし

    レベル:           エラー

    キーワード:         クラシック

    ユーザー:          N/A

    コンピューター:       Dim8400

    説明:

    ドライバーは \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 でコントローラー エラーを検出しました。

    イベント XML:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

      <System>

        <Provider Name="Disk" />

        <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

        <Level>2</Level>

        <Task>0</Task>

        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-12-17T09:29:30.320293100Z" />

        <EventRecordID>2981</EventRecordID>

        <Channel>System</Channel>

        <Computer>Dim8400</Computer>

        <Security />

      </System>

      <EventData>

        <Data>\Device\Harddisk1\DR1</Data>

        <Binary>0E01680001000000000000000B0004C003010000000000000000000000082D000000000000000000362B430000000000FFFFFFFF0600000040000000000000000000061208000010000000003C0000000000000000FC5F8600000000408B5786000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

      </EventData>

    </Event>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-06T23:14:10+00:00

    Greetings,

    I am having the same errors and only after upgrading to Win 7.  I only have the one OS on my laptop with only one internal cd/dvd drive.  However, I am getting a blue screen shortly after the errors (7 total logged) and an additional error (NTFS), "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

    I have turned off the auto restart and will try to get additional information. 

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments