Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-15T08:38:46+00:00

    I am getting tons of these errors, although I can't say I see any issues.  I would like to resolve it, however.  If it's a bad controller, I would like to exchange my motherboard while under warranty.  I switched all cables and now I get the issue on a different port.  The problem is I can't figure out what drive it is refering to!  None of the drive properties have this as the hardware ID:

    \Device\Ide\IdePort2

    Can anyone help me determine where to lok this up?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-15T14:39:21+00:00

    I believe I have found an answer.  I am using a Seagate SATA drive of Windows 7.   After dealing with this issue for a week now and much Googling, I decided to check the SATA cables.  Sure enough, the hard drive cable was a little loose and wasn't fitting very well.  The DVD cable, on the other hand, was very snug.  I believe I may have knocked the loose fitting cable out a little while shuffling the case around to plug in some extra peripherals. I swapped the cables and haven't had a problem since.  I've been checking my event log every day and it remains free of Device\Ide errors.  Now if I start getting DVD drive problems, then I'll have to completely replace the cable.

    Hope this helps.

    • cyberfiche

    Thanks, this could certainly be the answer if you have a computer tower/  In my case, I have been dealing with laptops.  But anyways, it seems mine was related to a failing hard drive.  I pulled the old one out and replaced i and I not getting the error messages anymore.  We'll see if that continues.  It has only been about two weeks..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-12-14T15:17:54+00:00

    I believe I have found an answer.  I am using a Seagate SATA drive of Windows 7.   After dealing with this issue for a week now and much Googling, I decided to check the SATA cables.  Sure enough, the hard drive cable was a little loose and wasn't fitting very well.  The DVD cable, on the other hand, was very snug.  I believe I may have knocked the loose fitting cable out a little while shuffling the case around to plug in some extra peripherals. I swapped the cables and haven't had a problem since.  I've been checking my event log every day and it remains free of Device\Ide errors.  Now if I start getting DVD drive problems, then I'll have to completely replace the cable.

    Hope this helps.

    • cyberfiche

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-27T13:06:54+00:00

    rwobrin and gpzbc,

    It looks like your problem is similar, but differs from the original question. Please start your own question and provide the details of your problem so that we can help you further.

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/threads

    Thank you


    Chris

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments