Atapi - Event ID:11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Anonymous
2009-11-01T15:15:19+00:00

I am getting following error in my event viewer log:

Log Name:      System

Source:        atapi

Date:          11/1/2009 1:18:38 AM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hendrim-PC

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-01T05:18:38.899Z" />

    <EventRecordID>53536</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>hendrim-PC</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort0</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

Anyone any idea what is causing this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-15T10:35:42+00:00

I replaced all the cables and the hard disk however I get the same Error (money wasted).

When you start the PC and get "PIO MODE" in Computer/Manage/Device Manager/IDE ADA ATAPI Controllers/ATA Chanel X/Properties/Advanced Settings is the cause your PC is freezed.

My "temporal" solution for this problem is:

1-Shut down the PC.

2-Pick Up and Put the Hard Disk cable in the same port of the motherboard

3-Start the PC and review in the Advanced Settings box -> "Ultra DMA Mode 6"; at this moment you can work without problems.

* If you can exchange your motherboard (while under warranty) DO IT!

-.- We all will be WAITING that Microsoft get a solution to force the start up from "PIO MODE" to "ULTRA DMA 6"

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-20T16:59:35+00:00

    I am also experiencing these errors.  It is frustrating since I can't seem to track down the cause.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-01T23:59:45+00:00

    I have just started getting the same issue, but I believe mine is hardware related. I checked my SATA cables and found the connector on one of them was cracked. I have just replaced it and I am willing to bet that this will eliminate the problem. BTW, my symptoms were that my PC would spontaneously reboot - never a good thing. So, only time will tell now, but I should also say that this was occurring pretty regularly one or two times per day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-26T08:56:56+00:00

    I have the same problem when I start-up on my PC from one day to another. I tried changing the IDE cable from the IdePort 0, 1, 2 , 3 but is only a trnsitory transitional solution because the next day when the PC start-up i got a lot of the same error.

    Log Name:      System

    Source:        atapi

    Date:          26-Sep-10 10:38:46 AM

    Event ID:      11

    Task Category: None

    Level:         Error

    Keywords:      Classic

    User:          N/A

    Computer:      Nova

    Description:

    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

      <System>

        <Provider Name="atapi" />

        <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

        <Level>2</Level>

        <Task>0</Task>

        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-09-26T08:38:46.442216700Z" />

        <EventRecordID>4764</EventRecordID>

        <Channel>System</Channel>

        <Computer>Nova</Computer>

        <Security />

      </System>

      <EventData>

        <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort1</Data>

        <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000001000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

      </EventData>

    </Event>

    I h

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-23T17:21:59+00:00

    I think that this problem is related with other problem that occurs with the restore points that are deleted. I disable the restauration points and the errors stoped.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments