TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access)

Anonymous
2010-02-13T10:41:11+00:00

TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access) when I need it to stay obtain address automatically

Control panel

Network and internet

Network connections

Wireless network connection

Wireless network connection properties

Internet protocol v 4 TCP/IPv4 properties

Sony laptop nearly new, windows 7, didnt have any problem until last week, have not changed any settings that i am aware of. One day I just could not get on the net.  Good signal to wireless router  but no internet access.  Eventually tracked prob down to above, each time i switch on i have to go back in to Internet protocol V 4 properties and select obtain DNS server address automatically

If I am on line for a reasonable length of time i have also noticed (once) it changed during a session

How can i get it to stay on obtain DNS server address automatically

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-14T01:29:45+00:00

Hi,

How long have you been facing this issue?

I would suggest you to scan your computer for virus and check if it helps, it might be a virus issue.

  You can also try performing online complete PC virus scan on your computer and check if it helps, here is the link:

 http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

 Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

  Azam – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-15T08:18:58+00:00

    After switching off overnight the same problem has recurred, please can anyone else help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-13T17:51:20+00:00

    I have had the same problem. Brand new Sony VAIO VPCX11S1E running W7. It happens to me when I move between different wireless networks with different default gateway/DNS addresses. The automatic setting is always set to manual 192.168.2.1. I can of course reset manually - but this is a pain. I don't normally reboot, i.e. this might also be tied up with sleep/hibernation recovery. I have no virus or corrupted software problem. It is a software bug - either Microsoft or some of the Sony supplied stuff.

    I hope someone can advise a work round, clearly there are 1000's of us out there suffering.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-20T11:45:37+00:00

    same problem here, windows 7 on a dell inspiron

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-20T16:52:58+00:00

    I'm having the same problem on Dell Optiplex running XP.  I'm wired only, so no wireless issues.  Have run anti-virus scans. It started a couple weeks ago, but not every time I've booted up.  It's happened 3 times now.  Again today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments