TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access)

Anonymous
2010-02-13T10:41:11+00:00

TCP IPv4 DNS server address keeps changing to a specific IP address (preventing internet access) when I need it to stay obtain address automatically

Control panel

Network and internet

Network connections

Wireless network connection

Wireless network connection properties

Internet protocol v 4 TCP/IPv4 properties

Sony laptop nearly new, windows 7, didnt have any problem until last week, have not changed any settings that i am aware of. One day I just could not get on the net.  Good signal to wireless router  but no internet access.  Eventually tracked prob down to above, each time i switch on i have to go back in to Internet protocol V 4 properties and select obtain DNS server address automatically

If I am on line for a reasonable length of time i have also noticed (once) it changed during a session

How can i get it to stay on obtain DNS server address automatically

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-14T01:29:45+00:00

Hi,

How long have you been facing this issue?

I would suggest you to scan your computer for virus and check if it helps, it might be a virus issue.

  You can also try performing online complete PC virus scan on your computer and check if it helps, here is the link:

 http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

 Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

  Azam – Microsoft Support.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T13:11:27+00:00

    That works if you have a Vaio but few people own a Vaio computer. I am sure it helped a few people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T13:37:17+00:00

    I had a similar issue and I managed to find the source of the problem since then.

    It drove me crazy for a while and then I discovered that it is the Mullvad VPN client I use, possible because of the dns leak prevention feature. I have no official, confirmed root cause but it seemed to be related - DNS changed after I used the VPN client.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T16:47:00+00:00

    My computer is apparently clean and I can't find any other options

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T18:29:11+00:00

    I recently came across this issue and after trying everything possible, the best solution I could find so far is to - 

    1. Login to your Modem/ Router
    2. Look for Remote Management
    3. Tick the box, that says > Enable Remote Management > Set the "Remote Admin Inbound Filter" >Deny All
    4. This should RIP the DNS Change.

    Regards,

    -Gurdip

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments