SVCHOST-svchost.exe -k netsvcs uses 90% + CPU Usage, slows powerful machine to crawl-Whatsup?

Anonymous
2010-02-24T02:18:43+00:00

SVChost.exe - k netsvcs has crippled my machine like no malwaer ever has. From what I can tell, this has something to do with Windows Update.

Nothing else unsual is running. There is no malware involved. And all updaes are installed Except I cannot update .net. I get the following error message:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86"

What can I do? I am frustrated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-27T17:55:51+00:00

Thanks for the help! I followed Joel's advise above & it SEEMS to have resolved the problem. I say SEEMS, because I have seen the problem apparently resolved, only to resume again after a few days. Updated Malwarebytes showed no infection doing a deep scan.

I will be back if proble returns.... for now, issue resolved!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-09T20:50:59+00:00

    >>  SVChost.exe - k netsvcs has crippled my machine like no malware ever has. From what I can tell, this has something to do with Windows Update.

     

    Posted 7/9/2012:

    For me it turned out to be a Boot sector virus.  It happened to me suddenly.  And Windows updates would not download.  Here is my shortcut from two days of trial-and-error to remove this virus. .  The short-cut solution takes about an hour.

     

    Search on the Internet for [Norton Power Eraser].  Download it.  Install it.  And first run it in Normal mode.  Select the Option in the box to the left--.Scan for Risks.  Click Restart to perform a rootkit scan.  After the Restart, PowerEraser comes back up with a list of suspected files.  For the first cut, uncheck all of the suspected files except the topmost suspect which will be something like "BootRecord1".

     

    The Capture System Restore point CheckBox will be checked.

     

    Click the Fix button.

     

    The next message will be scary.  It will say something like "Remove the Boot Record".  What it means is "Repair the Boot record."

     

    Give Norton your feedback Good or Bad in the final screen when your system comes back up.

     

     

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-20T09:34:23+00:00

    all programs and files open with workpad  which means I cant use them

     how do I get back to normal running

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-20T11:07:07+00:00

    This virus really is a menace.  It hogs CPU/Memory, plays ads in the speakers, and it cleverly prevents you from using Google to search for answers.

    Using Norton Power Eraser fixed my problem.  I was blindsided by this virus at around 6PM yesterday.  It's currently 4AM, and thanks to this thread and your post, I can finally go to sleep.

    Again, thank you Riley.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more