SVCHOST-svchost.exe -k netsvcs uses 90% + CPU Usage, slows powerful machine to crawl-Whatsup?

Anonymous
2010-02-24T02:18:43+00:00

SVChost.exe - k netsvcs has crippled my machine like no malwaer ever has. From what I can tell, this has something to do with Windows Update.

Nothing else unsual is running. There is no malware involved. And all updaes are installed Except I cannot update .net. I get the following error message:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86"

What can I do? I am frustrated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-27T17:55:51+00:00

Thanks for the help! I followed Joel's advise above & it SEEMS to have resolved the problem. I say SEEMS, because I have seen the problem apparently resolved, only to resume again after a few days. Updated Malwarebytes showed no infection doing a deep scan.

I will be back if proble returns.... for now, issue resolved!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-21T00:38:40+00:00

    I too hace a problem with svchost consuming excess memory (and CPU). I tried every thing, including nightly super/deep anti-virus scans with Checkpoint ZoneAlarm (uopdated nightly as well) Malwarebytes' Anit-malware, Anitsuperspyware and Microsofts MSRT but the problem persisted. 

    I tried to isolate the problem with the Process Explorer, tried to shut down individualt processes to further isolate and nothing helped.  Shutting down svchost and restarting the individual subprocesses (audio, RPC, etc.) provided some temporary relief but withing a few hours, the svchost process was consuming 50% (500MB) of RAM.

    Last week I tried the MSRT from MS (version 3.9.3901.0) and it found and 'partially' remove a virus call Alureon.  MSRT recommended another full scan by anit-virus software so I ran another deep scan of ZoneAlarm Anti-virus. 

    Evidently the combination of the two worked!  Since then the largest svchost.exe process has used only about 25MB RAM and the 'puter has been on and in use for 5 consecutive days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-21T13:56:30+00:00

    I too hace a problem with svchost consuming excess memory (and CPU). I tried every thing, including nightly super/deep anti-virus scans with Checkpoint ZoneAlarm (uopdated nightly as well) Malwarebytes' Anit-malware, Anitsuperspyware and Microsofts MSRT but the problem persisted. 

    I tried to isolate the problem with the Process Explorer, tried to shut down individualt processes to further isolate and nothing helped.  Shutting down svchost and restarting the individual subprocesses (audio, RPC, etc.) provided some temporary relief but withing a few hours, the svchost process was consuming 50% (500MB) of RAM.

    Last week I tried the MSRT from MS (version 3.9.3901.0) and it found and 'partially' remove a virus call Alureon.  MSRT recommended another full scan by anit-virus software so I ran another deep scan of ZoneAlarm Anti-virus. 

    Evidently the combination of the two worked!  Since then the largest svchost.exe process has used only about 25MB RAM and the 'puter has been on and in use for 5 consecutive days. 

    The Alureon rootkit can me hard to get rid of. I have found two scanners which seem to remove it. TDSS Killer and HitmanPro.

    TDSSKiller.exe

    HitmanPro 3.5


    Sometimes deciding which battle to fight is the toughest battle of all.. Visit my forum @ http://repairbotsonline.forumotion.com/forum.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-21T17:26:02+00:00

    Use the following trial software to delete the varient of TDL3 (alias Alureon) rootkit:

    Hitman Pro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware

    (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security

    measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).

    http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

    If you use Hitman Pro, you NEED to be connected to the internet.


     ALSO, if this ends up working. To keep this from happening AGAIN, download ALL three of these programs. Unless you already have good, Spyware, Antivirus, and Malware programs.

    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

    This will check for malware, AND registry key errors, or so most of the forums say. >.>

    http://superantispyware.com/

    You can download the free version and it will check for spyware as well.

    http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

    This is a GREAT AV it works EXTREMELY well in conjunction for the above.


    Young and learning...Have mercy - Chaos


    If this post resolves your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" buttons. This helps other users with similar problems find the answer faster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments