SVCHOST-svchost.exe -k netsvcs uses 90% + CPU Usage, slows powerful machine to crawl-Whatsup?

Anonymous
2010-02-24T02:18:43+00:00

SVChost.exe - k netsvcs has crippled my machine like no malwaer ever has. From what I can tell, this has something to do with Windows Update.

Nothing else unsual is running. There is no malware involved. And all updaes are installed Except I cannot update .net. I get the following error message:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86"

What can I do? I am frustrated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-27T17:55:51+00:00

Thanks for the help! I followed Joel's advise above & it SEEMS to have resolved the problem. I say SEEMS, because I have seen the problem apparently resolved, only to resume again after a few days. Updated Malwarebytes showed no infection doing a deep scan.

I will be back if proble returns.... for now, issue resolved!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-24T07:22:49+00:00

    FIrst, right click on Start > Search. Type SVChost.exe in the field for files to be searched for. Choose to search your primary disk drive (usually C). Be sure to use advanced search features to enable searching hidden files and folders. Click Search to begin. Look through the results for the location of the files listed. All SVChost.exe files should be located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. Any found in any other location are part of malware. Also, what is the error message you are receiving when attempting to update Net Framwork?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-26T16:51:35+00:00

    OK - I deleted several copies of svchost.exe from several locations that looked harmless. Including prefetch. Prpblem remains.

    Included were a couple of copies of svchost.ext in .NET framework areas. Maybe related???

    Maybe I should post my failure of .NET to update on a seperate thread?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-26T18:03:34+00:00

    Any chance there is nVidia hardware in the system?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-26T18:19:13+00:00

    Yes, 8600 GTS with latest video driver updates installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments