SVCHOST-svchost.exe -k netsvcs uses 90% + CPU Usage, slows powerful machine to crawl-Whatsup?

Anonymous
2010-02-24T02:18:43+00:00

SVChost.exe - k netsvcs has crippled my machine like no malwaer ever has. From what I can tell, this has something to do with Windows Update.

Nothing else unsual is running. There is no malware involved. And all updaes are installed Except I cannot update .net. I get the following error message:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86"

What can I do? I am frustrated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-27T17:55:51+00:00

Thanks for the help! I followed Joel's advise above & it SEEMS to have resolved the problem. I say SEEMS, because I have seen the problem apparently resolved, only to resume again after a few days. Updated Malwarebytes showed no infection doing a deep scan.

I will be back if proble returns.... for now, issue resolved!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-29T14:22:33+00:00

    I was also having the problem with SvcHost stealing nearly all of the servers resources.  Not any longer, though.

    I found posts seemingly EVERYWHERE recommending things that worked, but sometimes only temporarily.  I never discovered the cause, but with so many different suggestions even in Microsoft's various forums, I decided to try something more simple.

    All I did was to run "CHKDSK /R" on just the C: drive of my WHS system.  Six backups later, I'm still good to go ... No more SvcHost hogging all my server's resources.

    I fully realize and admit this did nothing to identify the exact cause of the original problem, and I cannot promise the problem won't reoccur.  But since my server is now working fine again, and since running CHKDSK isn't something potentially harmful, I'd surely recommended trying it to see whether it helps.

    Tony

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-16T19:43:56+00:00

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_xp-performance/cpu-pegs-95-99-stuck-on-svchostexe-after-windows/136e8b15-067d-4882-a030-94fd90d20e4c

    Briefly, 1st thing you want to do is turn OFF Window Automatic Updates. This will keep your computer from freezing up for the time-being.

    2nd, follow Xircal's instructions for checking that you have "BITS" listed in your list of "services".

    If you don't, then fix it, and if your problem goes away, then you are good to go.

    If not, remove IE from your list of programs and then re-install it, making your first update the cummumlative IE patch, as Xircal suggests in the thread referenced.

    That "should" do it and you can turn Automatic Updates back on and svchost.exe should go back to normal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-16T19:28:40+00:00

    I have the same problem with my pc running on Win XP service pack 3 (x86)

    I have tried every possible solutions in forums but problem exists. It started after an update. Its really frustrating to each and every time to kill the process.

    If someone has a good solution to fix it, please share. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-08T15:55:28+00:00

      .... All SVChost.exe files should be located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. Any found in any other location are part of malware.

    You might be a little too categorical in your assertions.  I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 Professional SP1.  Searching "Computer" for svchost.exe reports four locations:

    C:\Windows\System32

    C:\Windows\SysWOW64

    C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_ .... [long name ending with hexadecimal numbers]

    C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_ ... [long name ending with hexadecimal numbers]

    Each location also contains one file named svchost.exe.mui.**** As far as I know, there is no reason to suspect that any one of these four is "malware" simply because of its location.  However, one or more could be replaced by a malicious file which has the name svchost.exe (something which has happened in the past).

    That said, I would be suspicious of any svchost.exe which is located anywhere other than C:\Windows unless I already know why it is there, e.g. in a backup location.

    You make an interesting point, though. :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments