SVCHOST-svchost.exe -k netsvcs uses 90% + CPU Usage, slows powerful machine to crawl-Whatsup?

Anonymous
2010-02-24T02:18:43+00:00

SVChost.exe - k netsvcs has crippled my machine like no malwaer ever has. From what I can tell, this has something to do with Windows Update.

Nothing else unsual is running. There is no malware involved. And all updaes are installed Except I cannot update .net. I get the following error message:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86"

What can I do? I am frustrated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-27T17:55:51+00:00

Thanks for the help! I followed Joel's advise above & it SEEMS to have resolved the problem. I say SEEMS, because I have seen the problem apparently resolved, only to resume again after a few days. Updated Malwarebytes showed no infection doing a deep scan.

I will be back if proble returns.... for now, issue resolved!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-02-27T01:25:44+00:00

    I only ask because of a funky bug that seems tied to (perhaps an older version of) the nVidia drivers, for the 650i chipset, that caused registry corruption that ultimately caused issues such as you describe.

    More details at:

    Excessive CPU usage-SVCHOST: 650i chipset

    The corruption appeared in the [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network] section of the registry.  It is potentially possible to repair, described here.  Of course, you would want to first inspect to determine if the problem was the same / similar, in the first place.  This issue with the nVidia 650i driver package happened over 2 years ago, it seems, so one would hope that it would be corrected in newer packages/drivers.  Still, your description reminded me of  the concern, so I thought I would mention it.

    Any chance you're able to use System Restore to restore the system to a point in time prior to the manifestation of the behavior?  Did anything in particular seem to trigger the behavior?  Are there any noteworthy events in the event logs (Event Viewer)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-26T18:19:13+00:00

    Yes, 8600 GTS with latest video driver updates installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-26T18:03:34+00:00

    Any chance there is nVidia hardware in the system?

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-26T16:51:35+00:00

    OK - I deleted several copies of svchost.exe from several locations that looked harmless. Including prefetch. Prpblem remains.

    Included were a couple of copies of svchost.ext in .NET framework areas. Maybe related???

    Maybe I should post my failure of .NET to update on a seperate thread?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments