Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.
Startup Repair -- how long is too long?
I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack. (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)
Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2015-10-10T12:37:25+00:00 I'm having the EXACT same problem right now.
My toshiba crashed out of nothing and is now showing the message 'repairing disk errors. this might take over an hour to complete'. Its been more than 3. I've read some messages below saying dont hit the power button or else you'll erase everything off the hard disk. Is this true? Can anybody confirm? Its taking waaay too long and actually have to study for a midterm
Thank you!
-
Anonymous
2016-03-17T17:54:13+00:00 I've been having the same problem. I'm on a Lenovo and the startup repair is taking way too long. I have tried shutting down my laptop a couple of times but I never works. On the menu it comes up with start windows with regular settings so I click it but it just comes up with the startup repair.
it says "No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This may take over several minutes"
underneath is the bar with the blue bars passing through, under that is says "attempting repairs..."repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" first of all I ain't waiting and hour for this computer to load. I've tried starting it up for 2 days now and no progress has been made. I have history homework to do and I have no time for disk checks, when I try to cancel it says 'current repair operation cannot be cancelled' I end up getting annoyed and I spam the space bar and enter bar and it just makes a beeping sound for a couple of seconds then stopsSomeone Please Give Me Some Advise To Get MyLenovo working again!
Thanks to the people who helped me! Xxxxx
i have paid apps on this laptop and I don't want to lose them!
-
Anonymous
2016-03-17T18:06:11+00:00 My repair took 14 hours. I had given up but kept it running while trying to figure out what to do next. I was shocked when it completed and had successfully repaired my PC.
-
Anonymous
2016-05-03T00:06:36+00:00 I have a Windows 8 desktop that has the problem I'm not sure if I have to buy the recovery DVD and for I do how do I use it to recover my computer
Sorry to hear of your trouble.
In response-- 9 hours is not too long. On my 11th attempt to have the resident startup repair (F8) complete, I had to let the computer run, uninterrupted for 3.5 DAYS.
A boot from the recovery DVD worked, restoring the system (use F2 and modify setup to boot from CD/DVD first, then the internal HDD ) . Then the F8, repair computer. Days later, F8 again and safemode with networking.
I have subsequently had no additional problems, but have decided to add norton utilities to my already functioning NIS2011.
No virus was implicated-- just conflicts with software and drivers. the resident Windows utilities (used faithfully) and keeping drivers updated was insufficient to resolve all conflicts.
patience paid off-- no $400 fee to have someone else restore the system.
Good luck.